1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs at Las Vegas Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tierra, Dec 1, 2009.

1. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Silver's a good guy with a bright future. Very well-rounded - Web, TV, radio, print, you name it. It's a shame.

2. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

Kantowski is without peer in a lot of markets. One of the best anywhere.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Really sucks. I know it's a weird arrangement there with the Sun and R-J, but as a reader I've enjoyed the entire paper when visiting Vegas. I thought they were making the most of it, but apparently it wasn't enough.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hopefully he will land upright. He has talent to burn. For a guy who writes that many columns, he has great contact.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Sun publisher understands how embarrassing this is in the sports world? We should all send that bastard letters. Sometimes the publishers/owners don't even understand the excellence they have right under their greedy noses.

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

It's a terrible, terrible thing that the sports department was gutted. And as a laid-off journalist myself, I know what they are going through.

But for those who don't know, the Las Vegas Sun really isn't a daily newspaper. It's an eight-page section inserted into the Review-Journal. It focuses on enterprise.

Apparently, the family decided to not include sports in it anymore.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Earned a Pulitzer for coverage of workers' deaths on the Strip.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

There's a rumor that the journalist who wrote that story was laid off. Is that true? If so, that should be national news.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Fredrick -- I don't know if that's true. I hope it isn't. What I was told was that the decorated journalist was a first-rate reporter but needed a lot of heavy lifting on the desk end, making that award a much more communal thing than usual.

10. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

I thought the Pulitzer winner got a job somewhere else a few months ago,

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Haney did a very good job.

That's sheer horseshit.

12. MrMojave

MrMojave Member

Editorial writer Dave Clayton was part of the team that won the award, and he was laid off.

Draft saved Draft deleted