1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs at Las Vegas Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tierra, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Tierra

Tierra New Member

Hearing that Las Vegas Sun columnist Ron Kantowski and UNLV basketball writer Rob Miech were let go today.

Kantowski was with the Sun for decades, including a few years as SE, and was a great and creative voice in Vegas' sports world. Miech, a former SportsLine college hoops writer, did a great job covering UNLV basketball, really gave some perspective to what had, in the past, been a very small-minded, narrowly-focused beat.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So they are cutting sports coverage all together? They must be if they are cutting their UNLV writer and columnist.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I hate to hear about this. Both guys did an excellent job. The Sun has been a good read despite their limited resources, but it sounds like they're out of gas.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

They hired a giant online staff about a year ago. I'm sure they still have people to cover UNLV.

5. MrMojave

MrMojave Member

One of their high-priced consultant's golden children will probably stay on board to handle UNLV athletics. He's a decent reporter, but lacks the depth of knowledge and perspective that Miech had.

Boxing and betting writer Jeff Haney was also let go, from what I heard.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Kantowski is without peer in that market.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Miech used to work out here at Pasadena and San Gabriel before Singleton wrecked them. Worked his ass off and really knew his stuff.
    Rob, if you're listening, best of luck with whatever your future holds.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The fact they let Kantowski and Miech go tells you all you need to know about our dying business. Obviously the higher salaried sports guys were replaced for no reason except money. The loss of top quality writers means nothing to the Sun obviously. It's obvious they think anybody can cover sports. Getting warm bodies cheap is obviously the norm now. Kantowski was Las Vegas. This Miech guy was so good it's scary. Hopefully the other newspaper will hire these 2 guys. That should be a no brainer.

9. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Kantowski, Miech, Haney, Steve Silver ... they gutted sports. Five years ago, this was an APSE Top 10 section. Now it doesn't exist.

More than 20 lost their jobs overall, and it wasn't that large of a newsroom.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

OM gosh. Haney is an incredible incredible writer as well. So this newspaper did not value loyalty a bit in Kantowsky's decades of service or quality in terms of these 3 all being outstanding. How can anybody explain this?? What a hit.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Worked with Rob many lifetimes ago, when we were both young and underpaid. He was quite a character. I hope he lands on his feet.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

What an absolute joke. A travesty.

Ron was absolutely awesome to me when I was in Vegas, and Rob was equally cool.

I'm shocked to hear this, and quite disgusted.

Draft saved Draft deleted