1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. Smith new low

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know. Thanks anyway Scooper.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Somewhere, David Simon is loudly saying "I told you so!"

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The hangup in Philly, according to the Richard Prince piece, is that Smith won't agree to a code of ethics and won't let his editors limit his outside work.

Isn't that pretty standard stuff for newsroom employees? Why wouldn't he be OK with the first one (unless he planned to do some violatin') and since when can't bosses who are paying you a fat salary in your day job have some say in the work you do elsewhere?

Who are the morons running that newspaper? What a joke of a situation from all sides.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

That violates the guild contract - management cannot treat him differently than every other employee.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's fine then, but management sure better have a thorough way to evaluate performances of folks in their jobs. There have been a few people in this business, you know, who will cut corners in their first 40 hours of a week (newspaper job) to go cash in bigger on their next 10 or 20 hours a week (broadcast or freelance gigs). Which wouldn't even exist for them without the platform provided by the paper.

Never heard of a contract that wouldn't give the bosses some control over hours 41+, if only to make sure you're not moonlighting for a competitor. Until now, anyway. If the bosses at the Inky have no way of holding people accountable to their day jobs, then they're woefully inept and in need of replacing. "Pay me a full-time salary while I go off and work for someone else." Nice.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Joe, the Inky created this monster. It was a mistake on many different levels. SAS, who was a nicer person when he was SS, didn't help matters. Now, his ego is bruised.
    I don't think you will ever see his byline in the paper again. I've been wrong in the past but I think he distrusts management and the editors who routinely had to re-write his shoddy work.
    At the same time, management isn't convinced that his heart is in his work.
    He's owed money and the company will pay him. From there, I feel that its best that SAS move on.
    It would be good on both fronts.

Draft saved Draft deleted