1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coghlan, Bailey named Rookies of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So you're telling me that neither Nolan Reimold OR Brad Bergesen got so much as a single vote?! THAT is insane.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is not most valuable rookie. Sure, you can factor team success in some, but I think you are putting too much weight on that. Bailey dominated all season, first as a set-up guy and then as a closer. There is a better argument to be made about Andrus being robbed of the Gold Glove, but not ROY.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did it used to be 10? I seem to remember that & was thinking that some writer didn't include him in his/her top 10.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

MVP ballot has 10 spots.
    Others have 3.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

It's tough to compare Bailey, Andrus and Porcello because they have different roles. One way to do it, though, is see where each ranks in that role in the league.

For example, Bailey was probably third or fourth best among AL closers (only four guys had 20 saves and an ERA below 2.10, Mo, Nathan, Pap and Bailey).

Andrus was 8th in OPS among AL SS who played at least 100 games. Granted, his defense moves him up a little.

Porcello ranked 19th in ERA of 51 AL pitchers with at least 20 starts.

None of that is a slam dunk for Bailey. You can make a case about which job is harder, but it certainly gives a basis for those who thought Bailey did his job at a higher level than the other guys did theirs.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Thanks.

7. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Chris DeLuca of the Chicago Sun-Times thinks Beckham didn't deserve to win but coming in 5th in the voting was a joke.

A lot not right with writers' vote

WHAT GIVES? | Baseball writers dropped the ball in selecting Beckham so low; perhaps it's time to cut down on voters

BY CHRIS DE LUCA cdeluca@suntimes.com

Years from now, no one will care that Gordon Beckham was fifth in the 2009 American League Rookie of the Year voting. He deserved to be runner-up, though in the scheme of things, you can ask teammate Alexei Ramirez how much that honor is treasured two years into your big-league career.

The issue here is how another flaw surfaced in the voting process of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Granted, the writers got it right by electing Oakland Athletics closer Andrew Bailey the 2009 AL Rookie of the Year. Bailey had a phenomenal year, start to finish, and deserved the honor.

But they flubbed by giving Beckham zero first-place votes and two second-place votes.

Red flags should be raised when the Sporting News -- in a players poll -- voted Beckham the AL Rookie of the Year last month. Around that same time, Beckham's peers in the players association selected him as the top AL rookie.

rest of column: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1887693,CST-SPT-deluca17.article

BTW, Chris DeLuca was named the new sports editor of the Chicago Sun-Times earlier today.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1889094,deluca-sun-times-sports-editor-111709.article

8. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

Surprised everyone thinks Coughlan is a slam dunk. I don't see the Marlins much, granted, but Garrett Jones (.919) and Casey McGehee (.859) had better OPS than Coghlan (.850).
    If I had a vote, I probably would have gone Happ and Hanson 1-2.

Draft saved Draft deleted