1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty New Mexico soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Publicity-wise . . . I really hate that I can't come up with another instance.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

S'up?

This ...

... is true.

No justifying or defending Lambert's actions here but I've seen too many stories today questioning whether women's sports are becoming too violent.

They always have been violent. Lambert's actions were beyond the norm but the hand-wringing at the world-shattering news that women play rough, aggressive and forcefully is just as ridiculous.

That is all.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

Want to see some REALLY dirty play? Watch water polo.

Also, in judo, one of the goals is to choke the opponent till he can't breathe. It's in the rules.

I'm not trying to condone Lambert's behavior, but let's not be naive. It's ubiquitous.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Blount was after the game. That's a big difference than something that happens in the heat of gameplay.

Completely agree on water polo. What's worse pulling someone down by her ponytail or holding someone's head underwater?

I understand the fascination with this, but let's not end this girl's career over this.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

The refs who worked the game should be reprimanded. And the New Mexico head coach also deserves an ass spanking. He knew the girl had issues and kept her out there hurting people.
    Shameful all the way around.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/sports/soccer/11violence.html

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Want to learn about the dirtiest water polo match of all time? Hungary-USSR, 1956.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Different *sports* have different standards. A lot of rough play is part of water polo. Being assaulted from behind is not part of soccer.

9. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

I'm sure the local paper was all over that and asking that very question the minute the footage hit the air.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

No kidding? Just pointing to a little historical information since water polo was brought up.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Longman's story in the NY Times was interesting, but a few of the sources probably talked a little too much, said some things that don't look good in print.

Just found out that the New Mexico coach actually went to high school with my older brother. Parochial high school in SoCal. She did a Q and A recently for the Alumni magazine about what high school kids need to know regarding the recruiting process. gave unconvincing lip service to the question of whether high school sports matter to recruitment.

Said some bold words about how great their academic program for athletes: "if you fail out of our environment, then you probably intended to do so anyway."

Nothing about how she handles an out-of-control player during a big game.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Freedom's Fury" is a must-see documentary about that match and the Hungarian Revolution leading up to it (which the Soviets brutally crushed shortly before the Games started). Great historical footage of the revolution, the game, and the reunion of players from both teams 50 years alater.
    Quentin Tarantino and Lucy Liu were among the producers, and Mark Spitz narrates (the Hungarian team captain was his youth club swimming coach).

Draft saved Draft deleted