1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Interview Suit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if this should go here or journalism board but I'm choosing here because it has little to do with the journalism aspect.

I have a meeting tomorrow that, if successful, will probably set Harris Media Services up to be very successful. I want it to be successful.

Do the old white-or-light-blue shirt rules still apply? I've picked out something that has just a touch of flair. I don't want to go overboard but I don't want to be bland, either. It's a light stripe Brooks Brothers shirt with a patterned tie that picks up some of shirt, pants and jacket.

It would look damn good on someone not as ugly as yours truly. On me, well, it will look like it is on me.

I'm OK with this, right? I interviewed lots of people and never said, "Don't like the shirt. Sorry." During or after.

I feel like I'm back in college going in for my internship interview. I really want this to work.

ps - my shoes are standard black business.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Brooks Brothers doesn't make any dress shirt that you should be embarrassed to wear to an interview, unless the tie has Christmas lights.

Go with it.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I wouldn't overthink it too much. What you have sounds good.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A man ought to have a lucky tie.

The shoes are more important than the shirt.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think if it's Brooks Brothers, you are going to be absolutely fine, and most likely will look very dashing.

6. If you feel confident while wearing what you picked out, go for it.

7. Moderator1

Although I have one of those, I'm not wearing it here.

Black cashmere sport coat (a gift from my brother), charcoal gray pants, black shoes. Like I said, it would be grand on anybody else. Doesn't look quite the same on me as it does the Brooks Brothers models but it makes me look as good as I can possibly look.

Key contract here. Make or break? Definitely make, hopefully not break.

8. Moderator1

Funny you should mention the tie.
    This is how much I love my son (or why I love my son): It is HIS lucky tie. It's 3-3 for interviews. I've had some tough luck lately so he wanted me to wear this. I 'bout cried.
    Only thing is, I hate to kill the karma of the kid's tie. My karma has been way off since my dog died and I don't want it to affect my kids.
    Nice tie, though, and works well with what I've selected.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shoes.

Be sure you are wearing new or freshly polished shoes.

Good luck

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Best of luck Moddy... you and the outfit will join the tie in closing the deal!

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

This is the part I hate most - interview wear. The mature side of me knows it's time to, as Barney Stnison says, "suit up!" and go all out. The piss-and-moan side of me always wants to go business casual (dress slacks and tie, to be sure, but no jacket). I mean, if they're going to hire or not hire on the basis of whether I stroke their ego to put on the ritz, fuck 'em... and it just feels vane as hell to have to spend anything over two seconds on what constitutes a "power tie."

... but then, I *really* would like a gig...

Aw, shit. (shuffles off, dressed to the nines.)

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd go white shirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted