1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why would USF1 want any Sprint Cup drivers?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They couldn't sign a Sprint Cup driver if they wanted to. They need a superlicense. It would be virtually impossible for USF1 to have an American driver this season, simply because no one has one and they can't get one yet. Scott Speed is about the only possibility right now, and that's not going to happen.

I still hope they make the leap to pick Jacques Villeneuve, which could have a high entertainment potential. It's more likely to be someone like Alex Wurz teamed with a GP 2 driver, or potentially a current F1 driver who loses their seat.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Villeneuve said in a recent interview that he "wasn't American enough for them".

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

According to this there is an exception for IRL drivers.

I'm not sure if they mean a top six in all seasons, or the previous season. But, if it's the later only one American driver would qualify...Danica Patrick.

5. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Not what I meant.

Any USF1 news would be buried now.

Wait until Sprint Cup ends and they will have more chance to get press during the downtime of US auto racing.

6. PCLoadLetter

Sayonara, Toyota.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/11/03/toyota-out/

And good riddance. I've said it here before, but F1 was better before the manufacturers took over. I believe it will be better off without Toyota and BMW. I don't think it suffered too badly this year without Honda.

And boy, did Toyota suck. Ugly car, too.

7. Bubbler

No Kobayashi? Boo!

No Trulli? Yay!

Toyota was the ultimate definition of woodwork when it came to their racing team.

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

9. PCLoadLetter

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

So just how much did Toyota end up spending in F1? Did it reach a billion?

11. PCLoadLetter

Probably well clear of $2 billion. The low estimates put the annual budget at $300 million.

12. Bubbler

What he said.

Draft saved Draft deleted