1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's easy to forget now just how lost in the woods Ferrari was back then. They went two full seasons without a win, a pole, or even a fastest lap.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ivan Capelli was pretty decent at March/Leyton House, though.

3. PCLoadLetter

I didn't realize that, but you're absolutely right. The only driver with more points in a March is Ronnie Peterson. That's pretty impressive.

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Vettel wins again.

Silly season updates/rumors:
    Bruno Senna signs with Campos
    Kobayashi probably locked up a seat with Toyota today
    Kimi still hasn't signed with McLaren (this was considered a done deal a couple of weeks ago), Toyota and Red Bull are apparently interested.
    McLaren and Renault are interested in Nick Heidfeld
    Fisichella might end up back at Force India
    Fairuz Fauzy will probably be at least a test driver at Lotus

5. PCLoadLetter

Love Kobayashi. He's really impressed me.

Thought Abu Dhabi was pretty cool. Good layout, actually passing opportunities, unbelievable facilities. Quality addition to F1.

Sounds like Kimi has narrowed it down to McLaren or nothing, and if his price tag is really $30 million McLaren should pass. If I'm McLaren I'd look at Sutil instead.

I've always liked Jarno Trulli, but man, he really hasn't done himself any favors lately. First he goes berserk over the Sutil incident in Brazil -- one that appeared to be at least 50% Trulli's fault, if not more -- and then he continues the rant in Abu Dhabi, insisting he has photos and documents proving Sutil was to blame. Meanwhile he's being outdriven by a kid with 150+ fewer F1 starts on his resume. I suspect he ends up at Lotus next year -- he's close with Mike Gascoyne, and a new team could use his experience developing the car -- but it wouldn't surprise me if even Gascoyne backed away from him at this stage.

6. PCLoadLetter

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wow! That's rather massive.

Bring back Pirelli!

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The first domino falls, Barrichello to Williams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8337807.stm

9. PCLoadLetter

And I think it's a virtual lock that Rosberg is at Brawn, which leaves a hole at McLaren. It's looking more and more like it may not be Kimi going there. They probably won't take Kovalainen back. Sutil is apparently close to re-upping with Force India. Glock is going to Renault. I'm not sure where that leaves them, but I don't see a lot of obvious choices out there.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Hope you liked that same Izod commercial over and over and over on Indy Car ... http://bit.ly/3ydeba

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The Indy Racing League IZOD IndyCar Series. A bit of a mouthful, but good to finally have a sponsor for the series.

12. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Hulkenberg (GP2 champ) to Williams also.

It makes sense since Williams is dropping Toyota as their engine maker, leaving no pressure to drop Nakajima. Plus with Hulkenberg the Williams test driver this season it just made sense. I was calling for this to happen after GP2 finished, but for some reason they didn't give him a couple races this season.

I'm surprised there haven't been many rumors of USF1's drivers. Waiting until Sprint Cup ends?

Draft saved Draft deleted