1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 sj.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POLL PG 25!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 10/26/09 Page 16

OU tried its hardest to give away a victory Saturday against KSU.

Up 21-0 in the first 10 minutes, had to fight like hell to survive 42-30.

OU shouldn't be in the Top 25.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But they fought like hell to survive.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

I think OU loses at home to OKSt. and on the road at Texas Tech.

I'll be at the Tech game.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nah, I think OU wins out. (And finally wins a bowl now that it won't be in a BCS game.)

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Avatars for a week says OU loses at least once from here out.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Don't take it Xan, OU will lose at least one more game

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Someone (or two or seven) of you tell Elliotte to send in his ballot?
    I have some errands to run for an hour and I would hate for him to miss for the second time...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nov. 2, 2009

Meet Me Halfway: These Teams Deserve Love Too

By SLAPPY4428
    All-knowing know-it-all

There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the order of top three teams ranked in the various polls.

And to a degree it’s deserved – Texas, of the Big 12, along with Florida and Alabama of the SEC (Our Motto: An Eye for An Eye, Two Teams in the BC$ is More Than One) have certainly poked their way to the top of the heap.

We’ve also spent some of the time discussing teams not quite at the top, although Duke, Idaho, Texas A&M and Temple receiving votes in midseason must truly be one of the Seven Signs.

But while the top three teams receive the discussion, the interesting part of the poll is the next six teams. Boise State, Cincinnati, TCU, Iowa, Oregon and LSU have certainly earned a spot at the meal, if not actually the adults table on Thanksgiving.

However, it’s like the Gemini astronauts in 1962: They’re still going into space, but they don’t have the same flair as the Original Seven in outer space and none of the respect.

What happens this week if the Big Three lose? Alabama falling to LSU is certainly possible; Florida’s losing to Vandy might not happen, but why can’t the Gators get bitten at South Carolina or at home against Florida State? UCF might not be the answer, but Texas is entirely capable of doing something stupid.

And by doing that, it puts the onus on the Next Six, unless the voters of the USA Today coaches poll and the voters in the Harris Poll decide they have the backbone of room temperature Jell-O and leave one of the three at the top.

Look at this week. Who plays Louisiana Tech after Boise State? LSU, which makes this Little Ray of Sunshine’s column I read online today as worthless as balls on a statue when he wrote that he dropped Boise in his Harris Poll because their schedule is weakening.

I continue. Why shouldn’t the next six be considered? I have no idea why not. I mean…

-- Boise State is fourth. If the Broncos run the table, they’ll be undefeated, have beaten Idaho, Oregon and at Fresno State, Bowling Green, Tulsa, Hawaii and Louisiana Tech in a six-week stretch across six different time zones. Nick Saban says HIS team is tired?

-- Cincinnati is fifth and has played just one ranked team. But they’ve got a scoring margin of plus-26 against Rutgers, Oregon State, South Florida and Fresno State.

-- TCU is sixth and has the best shot of them all, since people look for ways to discount any success Boise State might have. So discount this: TCU will have won at Clemson and Virginia. And Air Force. And No. 23 BYU. And have to beat Utah. Some ACC schools don’t have it that tough.

-- Iowa is seventh and the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big 10. Everyone talks about Penn State and Ohio State, but Iowa is freakin unbeaten. Doubters have every right to rag on Northern Iowa and Arkansas State – but you don’t hear them complaining about Charleston Southern, North Texas or Florida International.

-- Oregon is eighth and in a bad spot. While the Ducks have a claim if they win out and finish the Pac-10 season unbeaten, the voters are truly frauds if they hike the Ducks ahead of the one team to beat them – Boise State.

-- LSU is in the same boat as Oregon at No. 9. They control their destiny, but can they say they belong in the title game after losing to Florida, which would probably fall behind the Tigers if LSU beats Bama and Florida stumbles along the way. Of course, if LSU beats Florida, the whole world from the stars to the bars will cry out for Round 3 – the war to settle the score.

But they’ll all have a legit argument as long as they all win out -- they just dont have the respect of the media darlings.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    11/2/2009
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Florida (19) 876 1
    2. Texas (8 ) 856 3
    3. Alabama (8 ) 847 2
    4. Boise State 738 4
    5. Cincinnati (1) 731 6
    6. Texas Christian 717 8
    7. Iowa 710 7
    8. Oregon 673 10
    9. LSU 640 9
    10. Georgia Tech 558 11
    11. Penn State 546 13
    12. Utah 431 15
    13. USC 421 5
    14. Pitt 409 16
    15. Houston 398 17
    16. Ohio State 370 18
    17. Miami (Fla.) 366 17
    18. Oklahoma St. 245 11
    19. Arizona 188 24
    20. Oklahoma 178 22
    21. Notre Dame 169 NR
    22. California 141 NR
    23. Brigham Young 138 NR
    24. Virginia Tech 108 14
    25. South Florida 77 NR

Also receiving votes: Wisconsin 62, West Virginia 29, Texas Tech 21, Auburn 15, Mississippi 12, Clemson 9, Central Michigan 6, Oregon State 3, North Carolina 3, Rutgers 3, Idaho 2, Duke 2, Troy 2, Texas A&M 1, Temple 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, Agate Page, Azom, Bubbler BYH, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Ishouldcoco, Jesus Muscatel, Joe Schmoe, KYsportswriter, Layman, Madhavok, Matt1735, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Popedirkbenedict, Precious Roy, Red Smith Clone, Rockbottom, Rumpleforeskin, spnited, Starman, Stormsurge, Sxysptswrtr,Trooper Bari, WS, Songbird.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 11/2/09 Page 18

Nice work Slap!

I'll throw this out there:
    What makes BYU better than Va. Tech or South Florida?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Good question. I'm not even sure the Fightin' Missionaries should be on the map at this point, especially since they were off last week and got kicked all over the field by TCU the last time they played.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Courage.
    What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage!
    What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage!
    What makes the Sphinx the Seventh Wonder? Courage!
    What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage!
    What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the ape in ape-ricot? What have they got that Virginia Tech or South Florida ain't got?
    Courage....

12. Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 11/2/09 Page 18

Anyone care to own up to Cincy with a nod to No. 1?

Outstanding!

Draft saved Draft deleted