1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News attacking Larry David

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mitch cumstein, Oct 28, 2009.

1. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

How about removing his yarmulke while in a temple to wipe his glasses?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And the nail from the Last Temptation to nail the mezzuzah into the door when his father came to visit.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

"Trust your gut."

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

An "outright travesty"? Dude, you are seriously overreacting.

Does this really surprise you? When I read the original post I thought the tone of the Fox article would be a lot stronger, in reality it was nothing more than I'm sure David and company expected. I mean--they frickin constructed an episode around a guy pissing on the image of Jesus being mistaken for a miracle--of course that's gonna get protest from the humorless Christian groups and Fox, they knew it too. This is nothing more than expected.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Beloved *unt

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I go to church every Sunday with my wife, and I put this one in the top 3 Curbs -- along with Crazy-Eyes Killa and the Carpool Lane episode.

7. Dude, you're totally not understanding the situation. The problem I have with it is that he didn't piss on an image of Jesus, which makes the headline false. Fox has twisted words to make it seem like he actually pissed on Jesus in some intentional, demeaning way in order to rile up their Bible-thumping fan base. Good for web clicks I guess, but highly unethical. It could have been a drop of toilet water on Jesus for all we know.

I believe at one point the headline for the story read:
    "David, HBO claim urinating on Jesus painting 'playful'?"

Yeah, real "Fair and Balanced" headline there - maybe without the question mark...anyway, the episode was funny and it's appalling the way Fox News caters to its herd of Christian conservative viewers with deception like that.

Baaaaaaa, Baaaaaa

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I understand the situation just fine, and you are still overreacting here. As Fox News ethical missteps go, this one is minor league.

Basically your gripe is all about the use of the phrase "urinated on" in the headline, apparently in lieu of a more cumbersome headline clarifying that, rather than intentionally aiming for Jesus, it was actually Larry's excess urine splashing on the image (a distinction that, I assure you, makes no difference to the types that get offended over this sort of thing). The headline phrasing is misleading, yes, but hardly an "outright travesty."

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, in the context of the continual torrent of lies, intentional distortions and complete fabrications pumped out by Fox News, this one is not particularly a big deal.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200910280036

According to Michael Savage if you're a Christian and you're not outraged by this, you should be.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ah piss on Michael Salvage. All religions need more laughter.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If I could lay money in Vegas on things that "are NOT going to happen," this would be at the top of the list.

Any guesses who this episode's writer and co-producer was? Hint: His initials are "LD."

Draft saved Draft deleted