1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 sj.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POLL PG 25!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 10/19/09 Page 15

They only threw 10 times. Ran a bunch out of the wildcat. One guy had 300 yards rushing, another 200.

With that kind of showing, against that the tough Emoose, Ball State should get a vote in the poll.

2. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Well, now I know my gag reflex works ...

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Get it to you shortly, Slap.

4. Bubbler

Here's what I don't understand about the top of the polls. Alabama and Florida are just squeaking by mediocre to average teams. Texas is blowing mediocre to average teams out, yet, it's an article of faith that Florida and Alabama are better?

This weekend for instance. Alabama needs a blocked field goal to avoid OT against an exceedingly average Tennessee team. Florida struggles on the road against a mediocre Mississippi State team. Texas goes to Missouri and dusts an average Mizzou team.

With the exception of Texas' close shave against Oklahoma, its been that way all year. I don't get it.

1. Texas
    2. Alabama
    3. Florida
    4. Boise State
    5. TCU
    6. Cincinnati
    7. Iowa
    8. USC
    9. Oklahoma State
    10. Oregon
    11. LSU
    12. Utah
    13. Georgia Tech
    14. Houston
    15. West Virginia
    16. Pitt
    17. Penn State
    18. Virginia Tech
    19. Ohio State
    20. BYU
    21. Miami
    22. South Carolina
    23. Notre Dame
    24. Ole Miss
    25. Wisconsin

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I've never published my ballot, never saw a reason to, I guess, until now. But as the other person who voted Texas No. 1 last week (and did again this time), this is my reasoning to the letter.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I agree with bubs and that's why I moved Texas to the top this week

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 10/26/09 Page 16

Oct. 26, 2009

Whoomp! (There it is) -- Another Day with Another Know-it-all

By SLAPPY4428
    All-knowing know-it-all

It's time for another installment of "Ask Mr. Football"

Dear Mr. Football: Why does unbeaten Iowa keep winning and stay mired deep in the poll behind inferior teams from inferior conferences? H. Fry, Ioway City, Ioway.

Good point, coach Fox. We’re not quite sure what you mean by inferior conferences. Iowa beat teams from inferior conferences like the Sunbelt and Missouri Valley by the magnificent total of four points. It also beat two teams from inferior states like Michigan by three points. But the Hawkeyes have two things working against it. One, the Big Ten – in a conspiracy theory matched only by SEC officials on the field and in the replay booth – is considered in a down year for the first time since the 2008 season. Two, America loves an underdog, which is why Boise State, TCU and Cincinnati are so high. Win out, and we don’t have this problem. One of the two SEC schools will have to lose and Texas will eat its annual sh it sammich somewhere along the way.

Dear Mr. Futbol: Why can’t the officials off the field match the talent on it? Dougie S. Burmunham, Ayebama.

They do, Dougie. No one has noticed yet.

Hey dude! Love my moobs? I’m sittin here in mommy’s basement, getting high, drinkin beer and eating Hostess Snowballs out the Wazzu and you don’t know me and I don’t know you and I don’t care. Everyone reads my blog even though I can’t write good or spell worth a crap. I know more about football than everyone here. Hell, I know more about junralism too. Ha ha ha! I owen you. Danny Drillbit, Caves of Bandor, Narnia.

You’re right. You do. I loved watching you in The Benchwarmers. You were great as Howie.

Dear Mr. Football: Why all the love for TCU all of a sudden? Don’t these people know there’s only room for one non-BCS team that’s supposed to get love? Which team has been the most consistent over the last 10 years? Which team is the Gonzaga of college football, in a non-Jesuit kind of way? It’s supposed to be Boise State, not this Jimmy Bob Comelately! C. Petersen, Boise, Idaho.

Hey Chris! TCU is no stranger to the national pitcher. Back before your grandfather was born, the Horned Froggies had a Heisman Winner in Davey O’Brien. You might remember his sister Margaret, the child actress, or his bio pic by Monty Python, Life of O’Brien. TCU used to have some great running backs in Orongelo and Limongelo Tucker. And in 1938, they won a by-God honest-to-goodness national title. Not one of those phantom ones some schools claim by going 9-2 and finding someone to give a national title. So this has been a long time coming.

Mr. Football: Seriously. Central Michigan? Central? E. Uzelac, St. Joseph, Mich.

Dear E, While it was one of the many schools you never coaches at in the Midwest, Central’s lone loss is at Arizona – a 13-point loss in the opener looking more impressive now that the Wildcats are sniffing the top 25. Seriously. Central.

Dear Mr. Football: Which is the best team in the country – Florida, Texas or Alabama? Herbie Street, Columbus, Ohio.

Dear Herbie, none of them will win the national title. You can bet the house on it. Ooops, sorry. Wrong quarterback.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    10/26/2009
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Florida (18) 827 1
    2. Alabama (10) 804 2
    3. Texas (5) 800 3
    4. Boise State 688 5
    5. USC 671 4
    6. Cincinnati (1) 668 6
    7. Iowa 656 7
    8. Texas Christian 648 8
    9. LSU 585 9
    10. Oregon 546 11
    11. Georgia Tech 485 13
    tie. Oklahoma St. 485 12
    13. Penn State 464 14
    14. Virginia Tech 406 16
    15. Utah 307 17
    16. Pitt 302 19
    17. Houston 283 18
    18. Ohio State 276 19
    19. Miami (Fla.) 248 10
    20. West Virginia 217 23
    21. Central Michigan 113 25
    22. Oklahoma 91 NR
    23. South Carolina 84 NR
    24. Arizona 83 NR
    25. Mississippi 79 NR
    Also receiving votes: Notre Dame 69, BYU 69, Cal 40, Navy 20, Kansas 18,Wisconsin 11, Michigan State 4, South Florida 2, Texas Tech 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, Agate Page, Azom, Bubbler BYH, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Ishouldcoco, Jesus Muscatel, Joe Schmoe, KYsportswriter, Layman, Madhavok, Matt1735, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Popedirkbenedict, Precious Roy, Red Smith Clone, Rockbottom, spnited, Starman, Stormsurge, Sxysptswrtr,Trooper Bari, WS, Songbird. Not Voting: Hammer Pants, Rumpleforeskin.

8. Bubbler

Elliott Uzelak lives!

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Alive and well, coaching at St. Joseph (Mich.) High School...

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

My vote was the Cincy.
    I have totally lost my mind. Sorry all, I just don't see the domination in an Alabama team and a Florida team that are winning like they are. Also, Texas is a joke, watch the tape of the Red River Rivalry.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I thought I was the other person who voted Texas No. 1 last week (and the week before last, and also this week).

Dear Mr. Football,

You cannot be serious.

Sincerely,

2muchcoffeeman

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Danny Drillbit rubbed off on me with his posts on the J-bord.
    Its' my onely defense other than two stories, two polls and my usual Monday

Draft saved Draft deleted