1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Troy Aikman Memorial Week 8 NCAA Football Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, the game wasn't decided -- the final whistle had not been blown, so the game was not final.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A rule's a rule, and I don't think "proximity to the main action" is part of the rule. So I guess we'll no longer call holding on the left side of the field when the play is on the right.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I do agree that taking the helmet off during the game is annoying. But time had expired. If it had not, there was two seconds left on the clock tops.

4. dooley_womack1

It doesn't matter if time is expired; a play can still be in progress with no time on the clock.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Time had expired, but the game was not a final yet. Ball was live. That's a 15-yard penalty and an untimed down for Tennessee because the half can't end on a defensive penalty.

Gerard Phelan caught Flutie's Hail Mary with no time showing on the clock, that doesn't mean Miami defenders could flat out tackle Phelan to prevent a catch. There was no time showing on the clock for the crazy Cal-Stanford finish, that doesn't mean you can facemask someone to the ground.

6. 93Devil

Actually, that's the way they call holding.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Seems like everyone thought the play was over. I don't see a 15-yard penalty there.

I couldn't tell where the ball landed in comparison to the line of scrimmage. Maybe it went ahead by a yard or two and Alabama's players chose not to grab it and risk a Leon Lett screw-up. Still, you would have thought some Tennessee guy would have gone after the ball.

8. dooley_womack1

Um, I see holding far away from the play called every week.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Morose in Moscow. ESPN-heads hoping to not make a trip to Boise Nov. 14 breathe a sigh of relief.

10. 93Devil

In the NFL, or in good college games, they don't throw the flag unless the defender has a chance to make a play on the ball.

In the secondary, it is almost always called because an eligible receiver has a chance to make a play on the ball.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Well, actually it's the Big 12 North that's over-rated. That half of the league is about as good as the MAC.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The fourth-longest Division I losing streak of all-time died, the streak had been 33 games. Only Prairie View (80), Columbia (44) and Northwestern (34) had longer ones.

A certain beat writer also saw his personal 37-game losing streak end.

Draft saved Draft deleted