1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 sj.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POLL PG 25!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 10/5/2009 Page 13

Trust me, I didn't strictly base it on Saturday's games. I thought about it weeks ago but couldn't bring myself to do it.

The Gators scored a touchdown Saturday only when the refs missed a blatant offensive pass interference. If that's called, they might not have scored a touchdown all night and won 6-3. Tebow did a nice job managing the game and letting the defense carry them, but if they both played like they did Saturday, I would have more confidence in the Tide winning that game.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Florida babying Tebow against a tough defense, knowing it didn't need to score much, because LSU's offense is no match for Florida's defense. If Bama were the opponent, Tebow would have gone all out or not played at all, and the Gators would have taken it up a few notches.

Bama is No. 2 in my book, but not quite in Florida's class.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Maybe not. But Bama was 15 minutes away from winning the SEC championship and playing for a national championship. The Tide weren't too far from the Gators' class when the season began, and somewhere along the way, I felt they joined it.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

My poll:

1. Florida LW 1
    2. Alabama 3
    3. Texas 2
    4. Va Tech 5
    5. Boise St. 6
    6. USC 7
    7. Cinci 8
    8. Ohio St. 10
    9. TCU 9
    10. Miami 13
    11. LSU 4
    12. Iowa 11
    13. Kansas 12
    14. Oregon 15
    15. Penn St. 16
    16. Okie St. 14
    17. BYU 19
    18. Oklahoma 20
    19. South Florida 24
    20. Houston 25
    21. Nebraska 22
    22. South Carolina NR
    23. Pitt NR
    24. Georgia Tech NR
    25. Utah NR

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard the Vandal bandwagon. Plenty of good seats still available! :D

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 10/12/2009 Page 14

Oct. 12, 2009

The Same Old Tears On A New Background
    as Illustrated by the Blue and Gold

By SLAPPY4428
    Leprechaun at Heart

They’re 4-1, have the nation’s No. 1 quarterback in passing efficiency and a Heisman candidate, won three games in the waning moments and could have atoned for their only loss.

So where’s the respect for Notre Dame? Where’s the love for the nation’s most visible program? Here, there’s none. Not that there’s a problem with that. In fact, you can take Notre Dame’s point total in all five of the previous regular-season weeks – 160 – and they’d be 22nd in this week’s poll.

Is it jealousy? Is it hatred of Charlie Weis? Is it a deep-rooted hatred for Jimmy Clausen? Is it all of the above?

Let’s ask the fine folks on the Notre Dame fan boards, always a font of reality. Take Clausen’s Heisman chances. At Blue and Gold Illustrated, “irishweis” is convinced there’s a conspiracy in the Heisman award.

“He'll never win it now. Give it to Bradford. I mean, that's what we'll be hearing from the media that Bradford is back in it with his performance yesterday. Oh, wait. Give it to Tebow. I mean he missed a game and really doesn't have great stats this year, but he did play decent when handing the ball off last night against LSU for the win. Sorry, what I meant to say is McCoy will win it.

“This is what the media wants anyway and I think we all know it. They are in love with those three QBs and have been from the moment they heard all were returning to school this year.

“Based on performance, Clausen should be hands down the front runner right now. If he plays well against USC and wins he's definitely in the lead, but with Fla, Okl and Fla having to play some other more high profile games this year, and with the conf championship games they will probably play in that gives the media more opportunity to salivate over those three QBs.”

Ahhh, how quickly they forget Paul Hornung and John Huarte…

We move on to the fact that Golden Domers might not have warmed up to Charlie Weis. Let’s face it, he’s not the most telegenic of coaches. Kind of a cross between Abe Gibron and R. Lee Ermey. And he’s not warm and fuzzy. And he thinks highly of himself. And he’s not Lou Holtz.

“I think there are a lot of ways Lou stands head, shoulders, torso, hips, thighs, and knees over Weis,” says PatH72. “I agree there are no excuses against USC. It's put up or shut up time. If we cannot beat them at home, with the players we have, this year then it's probably not going to happen very soon. I'm sure, however, that if we get within 30 or so of them there will be a sizable number of folks pointing out how we're "making progress" and will be able to beat them some undefined number of seasons into the future. I certainly hope we see a team fired up and unwilling to accept an 8th straight defeat to USC.”
    Mh2365 has a counterpoint.
    “Jesus ... Holtz talk again ...everyone does realize that was two decades ago right? If he was still coaching we'd be Florida St ... he proved the game passed him at South Carolina ... If Holtz was our coach next week vs. USC we would lose by 45 and maybe have 10 kids suspended for fighting after the game ...”

As for playing Southern Cal this week (Note: I expect a tersely worded harrumph from the Southern Cal media relations folks, who ask that media run USC, University of Southern California, So. California, Troy or Trojans and not to use Southern Cal. Remember, you can’t spell “suck” without “USC”.)

Some folks at NDNation have an interesting observation. A poster called NDduLac opined:

“First, if I'm Weis and Clausen's healthy enough, I'd go "five wide and no huddle" which would limit SC's ability to rotate defensive personnel from the outset. I still believe this is ND's only chance to beat SC.

“Second, I'm not sure why, but ND's offense just seems far more comfortable in the up-tempo game - everything offensively seems so much more fluid and every position's execution seems superior to me.

“Lastly, since the Irish are home, crowd noise shouldn't be a problem for audibles if necessary.”

When a poster named ACross opted to chide about his use of “If I’m Weis” in his argument, NDduLac opted for an indepth analysis --“Fuck off Andy, if you don't agree, no problem.”

This is what’s known as an improvement. Back in the day, many of those words would be misspelled from the fans of Chicagoland.

And of course, there is the tradition of Notre Dame – the Golden Dome, Touchdown Jesus, Fair Catch Corby, owning their own network, old men dressed up as Leprachauns, and of course, phantom penalties. There are people who understand this game and its complete ramifications in relation to God, college football and that this is more than just a game.

“Notre Dame has every advantage to finally beat USC.

1. The game is at home
    2. We have mature talent
    3. They are starting a freshman QB
    4. They had to rebuild their defense this year.

The entire season rides on the outcome:

1. BCS berth
    2. Recruting class
    3. Clausen's Heisman candidacy
    4. Charlie's job
    5. Historical implications for a 5th loss by one coach

“After seeing that the intangibles and motivation are on our side, there is absolutely no excuse for a loss in this game. But, I predict a sound defeat. Our 4-1 record is not impressive...the wins or the loss (Michigan is not very good).

“This game has been circled on the calendar since last season. All chips are in. Anyone here who tries to downplay the importance of this game ("we should not expect to win", "we just need to be competitive", "rebuilding is hard"), does not understand the storied history of this great program.”

So I hope you remember all that when you vote next week. otherwise, The Oak will get you.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    10/12/2009
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Florida (26) 841 1
    2. Alabama (6) 805 3
    3. Texas (2) 798 2
    4. Virginia Tech 699 6
    5. Boise State 695 5
    6 . USC 646 6
    7. Ohio State 609 8
    8. Cincinnati 581 9
    9. Texas Christian 548 10
    10. LSU 535 4
    11. Iowa 510 12
    12. Oregon 449 14
    13. Miami (Fla.) 438 11
    14. Oklahoma St. 379 13
    15. Penn State 344 15
    16. Kansas 342 16
    17. Nebraska 330 19
    18. BYU 313 17
    19. South Florida 238 22
    20. Oklahoma 232 21
    tie. Georgia Tech 232 23
    22. Utah 110 NR
    23. South Carolina 105 NR
    24 Houston 66 NR
    25 Notre Dame 47 NR
    Also receiving votes: West Virginia 35, Pitt 31, Central Michigan 26, Mississippi 16, Missouri 12, Wisconsin 12, Auburn 9, Texas Tech 5, Arkansas 4, Cal 2, Michigan 2, Oregon State 2, Navy 1, Tulsa 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, , Azom, Bubbler BYH, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Ishouldcoco, Jesus Muscatel, Joe Schmoe, KYsportswriter, Layman, Madhavok, Matt1735, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Popedirkbenedict, Precious Roy, Red Smith Clone, Rumpleforeskin, , spnited, Starman, Stormsurge, Sxysptswrtr, Trooper Bari, WS, Songbird. Not Voting: Agate Page, Rockbottom.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Notre Dame will be trounced

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We can only hope.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Penn State ... I'm just not seeing what others are seeing here.

10. Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 10/12/2009 Page 14

Whats to see... that they lost the only meaningful game they have played this season?

They are no Central Mich.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i'd love to see lefevour go up against penn state's defense (maybe we'll get that matchup in a bowl).

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I can only assume the voters are waiting for Idaho to take the Fightin' McMackins behind the woodshed before joining the Vandals Bandwagon.

Draft saved Draft deleted