1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cox Sells Waco Trib to Local Family

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Armchair_QB, Jul 16, 2009.

1. redsox99

redsox99 Member

A slight follow to this story. Both the Longview paper and the Marshall paper announced their sale last week to Westward Communications.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have been saying for years that newspapers have a much better chance of survival with local ownership rather than these conglomerates who don't give a damn.

He's a novice in the biz, but he's also a successful business man and if he's smart (which he must have some smarts to be successful), he will listen to the staff he has in place and hopefully they will have the spine to instruct him on how this business works.

I hope this works out for all involved.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I just don't share the optimism, Rosie. I've been around guys like that. They think because they have the money, they must have the smarts, and they must know what they're doing.

And in this day and age, who's going to challenge their new boss? If they were doing that, wouldn't someone have said, "we don't run columns 'written' by dogs"?

I hope it works out too ... but I have my doubts.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Otus the Head Cat, anyone?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

When dogs begin writing columns, it's definitely time to leave the business.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

respectfully disagrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted