1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What? Nobody?

Okay, I'll do it.

[​IMG]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090925/ap_on_sp_au_ra_ne/car_irl_patrick_3

Three years. Indy officials faint in relieved bliss.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Renault saga got more interesting with the relevation that there was a "Witness X", a fourth member of Renault, that blew the whistle on Piquet, Briatore and Symonds. His testimony damned all three of them, including the revelation that it was Piquet's idea to begin with.

Witness X was ostensibly protected to protect future whistle-blowers. Rumors are circulating that it was chief engineer Alan Permane or Fernando Alonso.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I believe Alonso was specifically singled out in the ruling as having no knowledge of it. Unless that was a dodge, Permane would seem to be the most likely suspect.

4. Bubbler

If it was Alonso, I don't have a huge problem with him being the whistle-blower. In fact, I don't have a problem with it at all.

5. PCLoadLetter

I dunno... it would be pretty out of character for Alonso to rat out his own team.

*snicker*

(Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with it either.)

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Singapore polesitter Lewis Hamilton says what we're all thinking: The Singapore circuit sucks. He also calls it unsafe.

http://tinyurl.com/ya6hb7c

7. PCLoadLetter

You know, I don't mind it. It's certainly not a great layout, and they don't do it any favors by putting it immediately after Spa and Monza... but by street circuit standards, it's not bad, and the setting at night is spectacular.

I generally don't like street circuits, but how many are there in the world on any level that are better than Singapore? I count one.

8. Bubbler

Singapore beats the ever-living shit out of Valencia, that's for sure.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, Bubbs, but your avatar/sidesaddle is one of my all-time favorite songs.

10. PCLoadLetter

I suspect Nico Rosberg will be nauseous anytime he thinks about Singapore from now on. Lost a win to a team that cheated last year; lost a solid shot at a win to his own foolish mistake today. Bummer.

And it looks like the silly season is kicking into high gear. Anyone want to predict the driver lineups for 2010?

My guess:

BRAWN
    Jenson Button
    Nico Rosberg

FERRARI
    Felipe Massa
    Fernando Alonso

McLAREN
    Lewis Hamilton
    Kimi Raikkonen

RENAULT
    Robert Kubica
    Romain Grosjean

WILLIAMS
    Rubens Barrichello
    Nico Hulkenberg

TOYOTA
    Timo Glock
    Kazuki Nakajima

RED BULL
    Mark Webber
    Sebastian Vettel

TORO ROSSO
    Sebastian Buemi
    Jaime Alguersuari

FORCE INDIA
    Adrian Sutil
    Tonio Liuzzi

USF1
    Jarno Trulli
    Jacques Villeneuve (it's as close to American as they'll get)

LOTUS
    Bruno Senna
    Fairuz Fauzi

MANOR
    Heikki Kovaleinen
    Adam Carroll

CAMPOS
    Pedro de la Rosa
    Vitaly Petrov

SAUBER QADBAK
    Nick Heidfeld
    Lucas di Grassi

11. Bubbler

Suzuka qualifying has been insane. Three red flags at this writing, all but one of the accidents in the Degner Curve.

I'm worried about a potential USGP '05 scenario. The track surface changes right before Degner and the soft tires can't seem to handle it.

Sebastian Buemi has crashed in both Q3 and Q2. He crashed early enough in Q3, that Toro Rosso fixed his car and he got up to 4th on the grid. He was lucky not to get seriously hurt in his Q2 wreck as he just missed a head-on collison with Armco.

Crazy.

12. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

This could quite possibly be the most bizarre qualifying ever.

Six crashes between five drivers, three red flags (two in Q2).

Buemi crashes in both Q1 and Q2, yet advances through to Q3.
    Alguersuari gets to Q2 for the first time then crashes hard before putting up a time.
    Then Glock loses it on his first hot lap in Q2 and is going to the hospital.

Now Kovalainen has crashed three minutes into Q3. I guess the last survivor gets the pole.

Draft saved Draft deleted