1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Muncie, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Star Press, Muncie, Indiana, is looking for a self-motivated sports reporter with strong writing skills to cover prep sports in a five-county region. Candidate must be able to multi-task and work well under deadline pressure. Sports experience is a must, including the ability to keep stats at any sporting event. Preference will be given to those who have experience using InDesign and PhotoShop, as well as video editing programs such as iMovie, Avid and Final Cut Pro.

Those interested should submit a cover letter, resume and work samples to: Lisa Nellessen-Lara, Managing Editor, The Star Press, P. O. Box 2408, Muncie, IN 47307-0408, or LNelless@muncie.gannett.com.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Multi-task? Forget it.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Pay is decent for a JJobs posting. $30-35k.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yeah, but that's because Gannett automatically factors in the $8K for your soul. ;D

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Ten years ago, I would have sold my soul for this gig. But that was before Gannett bought the paper and Indiana went to class basketball. Still wouldn't be a bad gig for the right person.

Even with class basketball, a Friday night of high school basketball at Muncie Central, New Castle or Anderson should still make you feel like you're covering a mid-major college team -- those three facilities seat between 7K and 10K fans. A couple more high school basketball facilities in the coverage area seat in the 4K-5K range. And most of the schools in the coverage area usually do (or did a decade ago) a very good job of taking care of the media on game nights. Note that the line about keeping stats isn't a throwaway line. Not sure if they still do it this way, but at one time they were running high school basketball boxes that looked like AP college boxes, complete with shooting stats, rebounds and turnovers.

As far as quality of living goes, 30K to 35K will take you a long way in Muncie. And having Ball State around makes Muncie a much better place to live than it would be otherwise.

6. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

If I still lived in the Ohio-Indiana-Kentucky area, this would be tempting -- even at my advanced age. Gannett would make it hard to take, but the plethora of solid college and prep sports to choose from ... man. Maybe when I retire they'll need someone and I can move back closer to home. Would love the MAC stuff -- D-I, but just the right size ...

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Doug Zaleski has been the paper's Ball State beat writer since the Muncie Star and the Muncie Evening Press merged in the mid-1990s. I have seen other bylines on some Ball State stuff, so it does look like they spread it around a bit, but Z is the main man when it comes to dealings on McKinley Avenue (the main road through campus for those unfamiliar with Ball State...)

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They've gone through a lot of people in recent years, Doug Z aside.

9. I could afford to buy an overpriced, German luxury sled for $35k in Muncie.

10. Hambone

Hambone Member

I heard this was filled. Anyone else know something?

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

I heard same thing.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who left in the first place?

Draft saved Draft deleted