1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 sj.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POLL PG 25!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 13, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 9/21/09 poll Page 9

So basically, no knowledge of college football needed to do a poll, just scoreboard watching. Gotcha.

2. Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 9/21/09 poll Page 9

How is dropping PSU out silly?
    They have played nobody; Syracuse, Akron?
    The Lions first semi-test and they failed ... BIG TIME.
    They is no way they deserve to be ranked. There are easily 25 better teams than Penn State this week. EASILY.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Not entirely true. But I think teams should be rewarded or punished for what they do and how good the teams are on their schedule, not a bunch of hypotheticals. That's what makes it a poll -- different people have different criteria. That's just mine.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

After four weeks, I think you can start to make major market corrections within your poll as I did this week. I had some high debuts (Iowa) and some major tumbles (Cal from No. 9 right out of the poll), which is out-of-character for me.

It was surgery from the four-spot on down.

1. Texas
    2. Florida
    3. Alabama
    4. TCU
    5. Virginia Tech
    6. Boise State
    7. LSU
    8. USC
    9. Ohio State
    10. Cincinnati
    11. Oklahoma
    12. Houston
    13. Iowa
    14. Oklahoma State
    15. Georgia
    16. BYU
    17. Utah
    18. UCLA
    19. Wisconsin
    20. Auburn
    21. Michigan
    22. South Florida
    23. Oregon
    24. Ole Miss
    25. Penn State

Last out: Missouri

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I won't say it's silly. How many people bumped Oregon out of the poll after Week 1 for losing to a better ranked Boise team? I find nothing silly after that.

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I have yet to post my poll on here this season, but since everyone else is doing it, I'll jump off the bridge too - sorry mom.

REDSMITHCLONE'S WEEK 4 COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    Rank Team (Pvs)
    1. Florida (1)
    2. Texas (2)
    3. Alabama (3)
    4. Boise State (7)
    5. LSU (8)
    6. Va. Tech (9)
    7. Oklahoma (10)
    8. USC (14)
    9. Cincinnati (12)
    10. Houston (17)
    11. TCU (15)
    12. Michigan (13)
    13. Oklahoma State (18)
    14. Kansas (16)
    15. Oregon (NR)
    16. Ohio State (NR)
    17. Penn State (6)
    18. Mississippi (4)
    19. Georgia Tech (12)
    20. Georgia (19)
    21. California (5)
    22. Miami (11)
    23. BYU (22)
    24. Nebraska (24)
    25. Notre Dame (NR)

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ga. Tech wins, yet you drop it 7 spots?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 9/29/09 poll Page 11

Sept. 29, 2008

It’s My Life, your poll, so Have a Nice Day.

To: Slappy 4428
    RE: SportsJournalists.com football poll.

Dear Slappy,

It has been several months since you last heard from me about your little football poll. One year, 11 months, 21 days to be exact.

And in that time, I’ve pretty much given you autonomy to do what you wanted – shortsighted and inaccurate as you may be.

But lately, there have been a couple of things which have caused me great concern – above and beyond the fact that you have mailed in so many of these columns in this season, your next one might as well have the byline Mitch Lupica or Rick Albom.

Although I have been out of the country a great deal with my job – anywhere from Puerto Rico to Prague to Pacoima – I have followed college football as best I can, both in the paper and on the interwebs.

And I’ve observed your column and poll from afar and decided you might want to consider a few changes in your poll. I think you’ll find that not only will your readers love them, but it will incentivize you to do better work. Once you lance the boils of sloth and bad habits, you’ll find that you’ll have a stronger poll for you and sportsjournalists.com.

Along those ends, I have made a few suggestions to improve the work. These are merely suggestions and in no way, shape or form reflect the fact that South Florida is again undefeated and proving itself to be the greatest team in Hillsborough County, but several other parts of the state such as Orange and Leon counties.

Please consider the following:

--Remind the voters that without Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford, Florida and Oklahoma are merely better than average.

-- Remind the voters that undefeated schools such as Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and Houston won’t stay that way very shortly.

--Try convincing them that Syracuse does matter.

-- Throw a picture of Nick Saban out there every once in a while and to remind voters that he is evil.

--Throw a picture of Houston Nutt out there every once in a while to remind voters he is Houston Nutt.

-- Remind voters that Penn State hasn’t covered the spread this season.

-- Remind voters of Charlie Weis’s spread.

-- Reflect more on the 2007 season and how a certain team moved from 34th to second – and three points out of first – by mid-October. That’s a true Cinderella story, not TCU, BYU and Boise State.

-- Dwell on the blue turf more.

-- Dwell on the Maize and Blue less.

-- Remind voters how Oregon defecated its pants in the opener. Then remind them how real ducks don't actually wear pants.

-- Offer a quick poll as to how many undefeated teams practice 20 hours a week like they’re supposed to.

-- I'm told South Florida has attractive women. Compare and contrast cheerleader pics. Perhaps some from the Big 10 would work also – especially Iowa and Penn State.

--Remind them that real teams don’t just play Wofford, Western Kentucky or Charleston Southern like Wisconsin, Tennessee or Florida. It’s playing them all that’s the true measure of a team.

I look forward with great anticipation to your next effort.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    9/22/2009
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Florida (30) 892 1
    2. Texas (2) 856 2
    3. Alabama (4) 839 3
    4. LSU 739 7
    5. Boise State 724 8
    6. Virginia Tech 688 12
    7. Oklahoma 642 9
    8. USC 637 10
    9. Ohio State 588 11
    10. Texas Christian 543 14
    11. Cincinnati 517 15
    12. Houston 427 21
    13. Oklahoma St. 395 16
    14. Iowa 385 24
    15. Kansas 316 20
    16. Georgia 283 18
    17. Penn State 278 4
    18. Oregon 273 NR
    19. BYU 255 19
    20. Nebraska 216 23
    21. Mississippi 187 5
    22. Michigan 171 25
    23. Miami (Fla.) 161 13
    24. Cal 141 6
    25. Georgia Tech 112 NR
    Also receiving votes: South Florida 82, Missouri 77, Auburn 58, Utah 57, UCLA 43, Wisconsin 32, South Carolina 28, Central Michigan 13, Florida State 11, West Virginia 9, Southern Mississippi 7, North Carolina 5, Pitt 5, Notre Dame 2, Stanford 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, Agate Page, Azom, Bubbler, BYH, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Ishouldcoco, Jesus Muscatel, Joe Schmoe, KYsportswriter, Layman, Madhavok, Matt1735, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Popedirkbenedict, Precious Roy, Red Smith Clone, Rockbottom, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Starman, Stormsurge, Sxysptswrtr, Trooper Bari, WS, Songbird.

9. Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 9/28/09 poll Page 11

That's a lot of love for Va. Tech.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 9/28/09 poll Page 11

Cal's way too low, and I'm still not sold on Nebraska until they do something outside Sun Belt play, but decent-looking poll, all in all.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ugh. [​IMG] That article reminds me of memos I used to occasionally receive.

Good job. :D

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Loved the ducks/pants line, Slappy. Great stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted