1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gene Duffey, ex-Houston Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

TREMENDOUS NEWS

Just received this:

Gene is awake! He woke up this morning. His eyes are alert. He cannot speak because of the tubes in his mouth, but he appears to recognize people.

He is moving his arms and his legs. I held his right hand and asked him to squeeze it and he did!

More details to come later but wanted to get this info out ASAP.

As a reminder, visiting hours at St. Luke’s are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and again from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. He’s still in 6 Cooley A, Bed 8. Two visitors are allowed at a time, and no flowers or live plants can be in his area. However, pictures and cards are welcomed!

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

This is great news!!! Awesome! You da man, Gene!

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

stupendous! among best updates ever! ;D ;D ;D

4. Armchair_QB

Latest from today:

I just returned from seeing Gene at the hospital. Although he is still in ICU, he continues his remarkable recovery.

He is awake and alert and looks better than he did yesterday. I read him all of the emails sent to me and through his face and body language he recognized the names of the folks who have written to him.

His kidneys have recovered quickly and he’s no longer in need of dialysis. He’s clearly ready to have the ventilator removed so he can talk again!

There is a chance the ventilator will be removed tomorrow. That is the next step in his recovery.

Please keep praying for Gene to have a complete recovery.

5. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Armchair, you seem like one helluva guy. May anyone who ever encounters such circumstances be fortunate enough to have someone like you around. Gene's in my prayers.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Am so relieved to see these latest updates. Great news. Someone needs to show Duff this thread.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This is fantastic news. God bless, Gene, and keep getting stronger!

8. Armchair_QB

Please don't pat me on the back. The updates I'm posting are e-mails another friend of Gene's is circulating to keep us all updated. I don't live in Houston.

If I was giving you all the impression I was the one going to the hospital every day, please accept my apologies. That wasn't my intent.

I met Gene when he was with the Post about 20 years ago and I was working in Houston. We run into each other at various and assorted events every year. As others have mentioned, he's a hell of a nice guy.

I was at the party when he collapsed on Labor Day weekend and I'm thankful that he was there because had he not been he most likely would have been home alone when the attack happened and he wouldn't be with us today. Our mutual friend's birthday party probably saved his life.

9. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Still, it's clear you've been very helpful and involved, even if from a distance. So accept the pat on the back. I don't think anyone will hold it against you. Keep us posted, as I'm sure you will.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Armchair---you done good, pal. Thanks. God bless and heal Gene Duffey.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Go get 'em, Duff. Thanks for the updates, Armchair.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I don't know Gene, but nice to get some good news on sportsjournalists.com. That's not a comment on the board, but the state of the industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted