1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 sj.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POLL PG 25!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 9/8/09 poll Page 5

1. Florida
    2. Utah
    3. Southern Cal
    4. BYU
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Alabama
    7. Cal
    8. Texas
    9. Penn State
    10. Cincinnati
    11. Boise State
    12. Ohio State
    13. Mississippi
    14. TCU
    15. LSU
    16. UCLA
    17. Boston College
    18. Georgia Tech
    19. Houston
    20. Kansas
    21. Virginia Tech
    22. Oklahoma State
    23. Georgia
    24. Auburn
    25. Baylor

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wow.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

At least nobody can say Della isn't original?

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

1. Florida
    2. Texas
    3. USC
    4. Bammy
    5. BYU
    6. Cal
    7. Penn St.
    8. Ole Miss
    9. Boise St.
    10. LSU
    11. Ohio St.
    12. Oklahoma
    13. TCU
    14. Utah
    15. Georgia Tech
    16. Virginia Tech
    17. Cincinnati
    18. Kansas
    19. Nebraska
    20. North Carolina
    21. Houston
    22. Okie St.
    23. Miami
    24. Oregon St.
    25. Pitt

5. WS

WS Member

at least he got Florida right

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Is the deadline switched to Tuesdays? Just curious, could have sworn it was Mondays last year.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I vote based on what has happened, not what will or could or should. I assume people are wondering about Utah. They have the longest winning streak in the country. They went undefeated last year and proved they could play with the big boys so that's why they are that high. I didn't/haven't penalized Oklahoma for the BYU loss because of the Bradford/Gresham injuries and then they did what a really good team is supposed to do by smashing a little sister of the poor.

Any other quibbles and I will do my best to answer.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Hey, at least you have the stones to post your ballot.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- 9/14/09 poll Page 7

Sept 14, 2009

Serving it up on The Platters

By SLAPPY 4428
    Barber Poll

Oh yes, I'm the great pretender
    Pretending that I'm doing well

"I think the kids are resilient. I think they overcome things. Last night, I get a call and my 4-year-old is in the emergency room. He's cut his foot open and he's getting stitches. He's walking around today, he's 4 years old, and he doesn't know the difference. I think our guys are the same way. It stings now. When you've won and had as much success as we have, they want to win for themselves, for the team and for everybody."
    --Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy after being upset by Houston

My need is such; I pretend too much
    I'm lonely but no one can tell.

“Basically my coaches and teammates got what they have been waiting on for four years. Everyone has been talking about ‘if 9 would just come out of his shell he could do some things.’ “
    --Florida State receiver Richard Goodman, whose catch inside the 1 helped Florida State to a convincing 19-9 win over Division I-AA Jacksonville State.

Oh yes, I'm the great pretender
    A drift in a world of my own

"It's the nature of the beast that (fans) want us to win. All I can do is all I can do. We're going to have some supporters, we're going to have some detractors. I can't control what people think, nor am I willing. I know inside our program we're doing things right . . . we've just got to grow up a little, get our momentum to turn and it can be way different."
    --Colorado coach Dan Hawkins after losing 54-38 at Toledo.

I play the game; but to my real shame
    You've let me to dream all alone.

“Well, I think he just needs to play like he does on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. That's all he needs to worry about. The good stuff, really good and some of the try-to-be perfect stuff, not so good.
    --Texas Tech coach Mike Leach on the play of quarterback Taylor Potts.

Too real is this feeling of make believe
    Too real when I feel what my heart can't conceal.

“Well, all losses hurt and this one hurts the most because it's today. Our defense played extremely hard and they came up with plays, they got us a turnover near mid-field and we didn't cash in on it at all. They just kept playing, and I thought the punt unit did a great job of setting up good field position down in there and our defense made it hard for them to drive over the course of the game and they played hard, there's no doubt. Southern Cal had five or six returning linemen and a stable of backs and the young quarterback did a nice job at what he had to do and our defense was toe to toe. You feel for them because we needed to put more points on the board so -- holding them to 18 should be enough, but it wasn't.”
    --Jim Tressel after Ohio State lost to USC, 18-15.

Oh yes I'm the great pretender
    Just laughing and gay like a clown

“I don't think our guys came out with the kind of energy, enthusiasm and intensity that we need to set the tone and we allowed them to stay in the game with some mistakes that we made and some things that we didn't do correctly. Giving up a big play on third and long when they've got the ball on the two yard line which changes field position. We got a pass interference which was a big play on what I think was second and long. There's a lot of things that we need to correct, there's a lot of things that we can correct and get better.”
    --Nick Saban after Alabama stopped Florida International, 40-14

I seem to be what I'm not; you see
    I'm wearing my heart like a crown
    Pretending that you're still around.

"We have to improve our consistency on offense, but we've got to get better at all of it. We played reasonably well on defense but still have so many things we need to correct. We need to have a better balance in what we're doing in that respect. Some young guys have to step up and grow up very quickly.
    I continue to think it wasn't disheartening. It's kind of a long-haul kind of thing. What you have to look at here is, are we making progress and are we getting better? But yes, it's probably disheartening to a lot of people. I want our guys to be disappointed."
    --Kansas State coach Bill Snyder after his team’s 17-16 loss at La.-Lafayette.

Too real is this feeling of make believe
    Too real when I feel what my heart can't conceal

“First of all, my right is to ask for the referee to come over when I have a question. The two guys on the sideline decided they were not going when I said I needed to talk to the referee, they weren't getting me the referee. I was letting them know that's my right. As they tell you before the game, If you need me, you tell one of the guys on the sideline to come and get me. I have to be careful when I say this. I have Big 10 officials coming in this week again. But that game left a lot to be desired. I'm not blaming the officiating for the game. But let's start with Armando. I watched that tape a hundred times this morning, okay? Just like when I watched it when it happened, just like their two guys that were standing right on top of the play when it happened. From what I understand, the TV copy on top of it, I still haven't heard anyone tell me there's any evidence of Armando (Allen) stepping out of bounds. The way I thought the rule is supposed to be, it's supposed to be conclusive evidence. I'm perturbed at that call. I'm not going to complain about the holding calls. I went and watched the holding calls. You could see evidence of them calling holding. You could see evidence, okay? But that's a four point swing in its own right just in one play, not including personal fouls that I'm going to send in with a couple of punches to the face after plays were over. Seems like they wanted to throw a lot of flags. When Golden (Tate) is throwing that fade ball at the end of the game, I didn't see one coming out of their bench there. We'll have to wait and see how that goes. It's not going to change the game. I'm not going to complain about those holding calls. I'm not going to complain about the false starts, the delay games, should I say, because we had two of them. I think there was a little communication between Eric (Olsen) and Jimmy (Clausen) because we were in silent counts in those right there. I'm not going to get tic tacky with things like that. There's a couple of things that I think are blatant that I just don't get.
    --Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis after being asked “In a close game, it's tough to talk about officiating. There were weird things that would happen in the game. Seems at the end of the game you were a little bit upset. “

Yes I'm the great pretender
    Just laughing and gay like a clown

“Yeah, I kind of hurt my ego a little bit. We had to get back strong this week. Our offense was doing some good things so it was really great to see.”
    --Central Michigan quarterback Dan Lefevour on rebounding on a loss to Arizona with a win at Michigan State.

I seem to be what I'm not you see
    I'm wearing my heart like a crown
    Pretending that you're still around

"It's probably like building a building that falls down the next morning. I'm not doing it very well; I'm really not. I'm in charge and calling plays, and I'm not doing very well with either. We don't have much confidence, obviously, and we don't make many plays to build our confidence."
    --First-year Ball State head coach Stan Parrish after a loss to New Hampshire dropped the cardinals to 0-2 overall – a far cry from last year’s 12-0 start under Brady Hoke.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    9/14/2009
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Florida (34) 920 1
    2. Texas (1) 861 2
    3. USC (2) 858 3
    4. Alabama 810 4
    5. Penn State 718 6
    6. Mississippi 653 8
    7. BYU 651 10
    8. LSU 643 9
    9. Cal 612 12
    10. Boise State 582 11
    11. Oklahoma 546 13
    12. Ohio State 510 7
    13. Virginia Tech 455 14
    14. Georgia Tech 435 15
    15. Texas Christian 364 17
    16. Utah 359 16
    17. Oklahoma St. 265 5
    18. Cincinnati 244 23
    19. Nebraska 238 19
    20. Georgia 167 20
    21. North Carolina 160 18
    22. Miami (Fla.) 155 22
    23. Houston 144 NR
    24. Kansas 142 24
    25. Iowa 100 NR
    Also receiving votes: Oregon State 80, Texas Tech 57, West Virginia 53, Pitt 45, Michigan 30, Oregon 28, Missouri 21, Florida State 18, UCLA 17, South Florida 15, Tulsa 15, Southern Mississippi 13, Michigan State 11, Boston College 9, Central Michigan 8, Auburn 6, Baylor 3, Wisconsin 2, Kentucky 2, Notre Dame 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, Agate Page, Azom, Bubbler, BYH, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Ishouldcoco, Jesus Muscatel, Joe Schmoe, KYsportswriter, Layman, Madhavok, Matt1735, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Popedirkbenedict, Precious Roy, Red Smith Clone, Rockbottom, Rumpleforeskin, Runnin Rebel, Spnited, Starman, Stormsurge, Sxysptswrtr, Trooper Bari, WS, Songbird.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

awesome.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That was fucking great. Was singing the song all through that post. Well done.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Very nice, slaps. Now, how the hell does an Iowa team that needed the weirdest twist of fate to top a FCS team and did what it was supposed to against a horrible Iowa State team stay ranked?

Draft saved Draft deleted