1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-10 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Time for a new one.

Heatley to Sharks for Michalek, Cheechoo and a pick.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just one more look back for this Penguins fan before the season begins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. derwood

derwood Active Member

So Ottawa folded and picked up Cheechoo's terrible contract. Terrible deal for Ottawa.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Unfortunately, the Sens were kind of behind the 8-ball. They needed to get rid of the cancer and had limited options as to where they could send it.

And, as nice as it would have been to see, it was unrealistic to expect them to just park that cancer's ass on the pine where it belongs.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Interesting that Heatley does go to SJ after all, after no fewer than three reported trades involving the Sharks that never happened. Wonder if this latest trade that ESPN claimed they had solid evidence on really was in the works, but the teams got cold feet when it leaked early?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

So Ulf Samuelsson is running the Coyotes in the absence of nominal head coach Wayne Gretzky.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2009/09/12/10859916.html

Way to put the team above your personal situation, Gretz.

I guess it would have been too difficult to say, "I'm still the coach of this team pending whatever happens in bankruptcy court."

He could also have issued a communique to the media that said he would refuse to answer questions about the bankruptcy proceedings or anything else to do with a possible move out of Glendale. "I'm focused only on putting the best possible team on the ice."

It's also funny to note that it took until camp opened for it to be clear there was a new guy in charge on the ice.

If Gretzky was determined to not participate in camp, or at least the opening of camp, and Samuelsson says it was known long before now that that would be the case, he and/or the team could easily have announced it in advance.

What a joke.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Now that Theo Fleury has been reinstated by the NHL, how long before Mike Jefferson Danton applies for the right to play again?

That's right - Mike Jefferson Danton is out of jail.

And guess how he accomplished this?

He lied to the (Canadian) National Parole Board, comprised of a bunch of brain-dead bleeding hearts at the best of times.

He actually convinced the members of the board that is was his father he had conspired to have killed, and not his Svengali, David Frost.

Of course, anyone with a brain and knowledge of the case is well aware that Frost was indeed the target of the plot.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2009/09/12/10854136-sun.html

"I'm so mad it's not funny," Steve Jefferson said yesterday. "I don't know if you can print what I'm really feeling.

"I can't believe the judicial system ... I want people to know that the system has failed us again and again and again. One of the conditions of his parole is he is not allowed to speak to me, but he is allowed to see Dave Frost with his parole officer's approval. Does any of this make sense to anybody?"

Welcome to justice in Canada.

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

More on Gretzky

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290806

During a hearing in court Friday a lawyer for the NHL said that Gretzky was involved in "delicate negotiations" over his contract.

9. The "FAKE ONE" needs to disappear for awhile. He's not a good coach, he's irrelevant to today's game. The way he stabbed Rick Tocchet in the back and allowed his wife to take the fall should have been a bigger story but "The FAKE ONE" gets preferential treatment and after all those years of listening and reading comments from people (yes, those in Toronto) criticize Mario Lemieux for his lack of dedication to the sport or being aloof.

Isn't it something to watch how badly Gretzky has handled the retirement stage of his life.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can't help but think that Wayne Gretzky could have given a simple nod of his head and the Coyotes' training camp would be at Copps Coliseum right now, whether or not he wanted to follow the team there.

His reputation has been such that his support for Balsillie, for a team in a rink where he accomplished so much in such a short period of time, in a city that's a half-hour away from his birthplace, would have changed absolutely everything.

And he didn't even have to go to Hamilton with the team. He could have received an extremely golden handshake and best wishes, and then been on his way.

Then you look around and you realize, not only did he fail to do what was right for hockey and for his home region, he's now pulled the chute on the team even though it's still in Glendale, where he supposedly wants it to remain.

Squidfucker.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You guys leave the Hamilzona Coyojets alone!

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Why are you guys so sure this is Gretzky's call?

And, he's not a terrible coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted