1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And so it starts...free food cut from Mizzou pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm allergic to stupidity and your statement is just that.
    I SAID IN MY OPINION CLEMSON HAS THE BEST SPREAD, ESPECIALLY IN THE YEARS THE FRIDGE WAS THERE. Back then the spread was pretty good. Obviously, you were either in diaper or not even thought of when he played because you wouldn't have retorted the way that you did.
    Again, IT WAS MY OPINION.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Well, it's been a long time since the Fridge played there (early 80s, I believe). Obviously you haven't been to Clemson in a while, because it's now one of the worst, most predictable spreads in the ACC. Your opinion needs updating - because it is certainly not one of the best anymore.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm typing very slowly so that you can understand it. In my opinion, of all the press functions, boxes, etc., Clemson had the best spread. Evidently things have changed but I'm just going by what I've experienced. And yes that was in the 80's. 1983 to be exact.
    Are we clear on that? I can put it in another way if that's too difficult for you to understand.
    I take exception to someone ripping me WITHOUT reading the thread.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's good. You've changed it from Clemson has the best spread to Clemson had the best spread. Words matter. Even ones with a letter difference.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, I realized that I put has instead of had. I guess I went back in time and remembered the good feeling I got. But his response irked me, especially when I knew he had no idea where I was coming from.
    It's been a while since I've been to Clemson for a game. Obviously things must have changed. Thank goodness for the good old days and the memories.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

FOOD FIGHT!

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Dude, it's $6.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1983? Did they churn their own butter, make their own root beer and roast a pig in the fire pit?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't use butter. Beer didn't need rooting and yes, there was a pig on the pit.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I've had a few beers on press row at Freedom Hall the past few seasons after deadline. A great touch.

I also remember covering a men's hoops game at Arizona about five years ago. Didn't eat beforehand because surely a perennial top-10 program would provide a decent spread.

First thing SID said to me after introducing himself and showing me where the game notes were was, 'The concession stands are up that aisle. They should be open by now.' I was stunned.

I wound up having to settle for nachos and a pretzel for about eight bucks. At least I got a free Coke.

11. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

I covered three Sun Bowls and I have to admit that El Paso kind of grew on me, in large part because the people in the hospitality room were so darn nice. I expected them to offer to write my stories. Just about the nicest people I've ever dealt with anywhere.

I agree that El Paso isn't exactly a garden spot and wouldn't be my first choice as a place to live. But like most cities, it does have some things to offer. A couple of nice restaurants and the stadium itself is pretty neat. I always wondered about those hills (I believe they call them buttes down there) that surrounded it when I watched the game on television as a kid. Plus, you're only about 30 minutes from New Mexico. I highly recommend White Sands National Monument and La Mesillia, an old Spanish town.

In short, I wouldn't mind covering it again someday. As I tell people, what were the odds I would spend three New Year's Eves in El Paso, Texas??

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

They had barbecue from The Rendevous at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium on Sunday for the Memphis-Ole Miss game.

Good.

They did not have wireless internet, saying it was a property run by the city.

Bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted