1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 sj.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POLL PG 25!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 13, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Re: 2009 SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Voters' reminder Page 3

Congrats! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

sorry, ry, i'm about to board the QE2 and had to truncate my last answer.

yes, okie played the 2nd half sans heisman winner, but 1) he started the game and did squat, and 2) byu laid the lumber on him and KO'd him. part of the game. i thought byu would get creamed. looks like they're much tougher than anyone anticipated.

you're right, though, i had them too low to begin with.

3. JackReacher

I hear ya. Honestly, If I voted in any polls, I wouldn't have known where to put them before the OU game and even after. Too complicated.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No matter how knowledgable one is about the game, early polls are hunches and nothing but.

5. JackReacher

Exactly, bubbler, which is why I'm in the group that believes the offical polls, at least the ones that help determine the champion, shouldn't begin until the first week of October.

And I try not to rip on meaningless polls, but I found Xan's movement of BYU a little funny, that's all. No harm intended. It's all for fun anyhow.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

in a way it is funny movement, but i just think it was such a big win over a team many think has the talent to win it all. i wanted to congratulate the cougs' effort.

(btw, this ship is massive.)

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I didn't have BYU in my first poll and I moved them to No. 8. Movement is much more drastic earlier than it is later.

8. JackReacher

Which is reason No. 1 why pre-October polls are a terrible idea. But that's another topic for another day, I suppose.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I had BYU unranked as well and they made it to No. 18. It was an impressive win, but, I want to see a win like that against a team that has its Heisman QB in the entire game. Don't get me wrong, still impressive.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did that gun go off at your temple? Read yer freakin PM's...

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Although Pac-10 football sucks, it doesn't quite suck THAT hard. Ooops.

rb

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sept. 9, 2009

Everything's coming up Rosey

By SLAPPY 4428
    Poll Guy

And how did you spend your Labor Day weekend?

Golfing? Grilling? Drinking? State Fairs? Fair Weather?

See, if you were smart – and I’m talking useless information-kind of smart and not that kind that will advance your career unless your life’s goal it to replace Cliff Claven – you’d have paid attention to the first week of the season.

You’d have discovered all kinds of wonderfully useless information you can use to impress your friends and influence people – as long as those people are drunk or are humoring you.

You’d have found out that:

**Nevada is woefully overrated. Come on, any team that can’t convert more than two 3rd down attempts against Notre Dame and allows Jimmy Freakin Clausen to throw for 300 yards needs to start rebuilding – even if it is game one. Cinderella my left foot.

**OK, you know about Dumb and Dumber – Byron Hout of Boise State and LeGarrette Blount of Oregon. Hell, even my mother heard about that one and she still wonders how many points you get for kicking a touchdown. But did you know that when Oregon loses its opener and plays a team from a major conference in the second game, it hasn’t won that game since 1972 when it lost to Missouri and beat Arizona? And with Utah and Cal looming after Purdue, how’s an 0-4 start sound?

**Think USC was paying attention to the Navy game this week? They’d better. Ohio State hasn’t lost at home to a Pac-10 school since 1990. Big difference between September and January, isn’t there.

**Big Ten in opening week? 10-1. Big 12? 10-2. The MAC? 3-9, The Pac-10? 7-3. Mountain West? 6-2 with two wins over BCS teams. The SEC? 11-1 with three wins over BCS teams.

**Does Kirk Ferentz win the honorary Lloyd Carr Award? I mean, jumpin Tebow… not only should they have lost but gave Northern Iowa TWO chances at late field goals? It’s like the 1972 USA basketball team losing to Guam.

** And this week’s Pissy Little Bitches award goes to the University of Michigan and its fans. OK, especially its fans. For starters, I thought Jim Carty had an on-spot blog post this weekendon the reaction and overreaction. The Freep managed to steel the scUM faithful (and as someone who grew up adoring Bo and listening to Bob Ufer, you have no idea how it pains me to write that) to rally around DickRod. Fine. No problem. Like Carty says, there’s gray area here and people are seeing white and black.

They felt Rosenberg has it in for Michigan and DickRod, even though he’s a Michigan graduate. (Besides, the Michigan grad who has it in for Michigan is Drew Sharp. Everyone knows that.)

But that’s not enough for the Pissy Little Bitches. Nope, they decided that they were going after Michael Rosenberg personally – without fact, unlike what the Freep did to DickRod, which was find out evidence that Michigan broke NCAA rules – professionally.

Nope, the Blues have gone out of their way to “get” Rosenberg. Radio talk show hosts tied in to the athletic department and competing newspapers are going after him. (The next intelligent statement by Sam Webb will be the first.)

His book about Bo and Woody hit paperback this week and if you go to Amazon, you’ll see all kinds of personal attacks – not because they didn’t like the book, but because they don’t like what he did. In his column today on the Freep about the Lions, there are all kinds of personal attacks – some going after his writing, some after his appearance, some his religion. (Personally, I liked his lead – “As we all know, journalists are supposed to blindly support the people they cover.”)

So the Rick Leach jersey is now staying in the closet, the Bo hat on the shelf. It’s not because I’m no longer a Maize and Blue pom-pon waving fanboi. It’s because the Maize and Blue pom-pon waving fanbois have turned into fanatics. And it’s not worth the Holy War. Change the message, don't shoot the messenger.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    9/8/2009
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Florida (32) 895 1
    2. Texas (2) 835 2
    3. USC (1) 824 4
    4. Alabama 775 5
    5. Oklahoma State (1) 702 9
    6. Penn State 643 8
    7. Ohio State 638 6
    8. Mississippi 606 11
    9. LSU 574 9
    10. BYU 540 22
    11. Boise State 534 13
    12. Cal 524 14
    13. Oklahoma 509 3
    14. Virginia Tech 395 7
    15. Georgia Tech 385 16
    16. Utah 329 18
    17. Texas Christian 279 17
    18. North Carolina 199 21
    19. Nebraska 182 23
    20. Georgia 176 15
    21. Notre Dame 146 25
    22. Miami (Fla.) 139 NR
    23. Cincinnati 130 NR
    24. Kansas 101 NR
    25. Oregon State 93 24
    Also receiving votes: Iowa 84, Florida State 58, Texas Tech 53, Michigan State 53, Oregon 50, West Virginia 49, Missouri 47, Pitt 41, South Florida 17, Tulsa 14, Southern Mississippi 11, Clemson 11, Stanford 9, Colorado State 8, UCLA 7, Baylor 7, Arizona 7, Tennessee 6, Kansas State 4, Boston College 4, Wisconsin 3, Kentucky 2, East Carolina 1, Houston 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, Agate Page, Azom, Bubbler, BYH, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Ishouldcoco, Jesus Muscatel, Joe Schmoe, KYsportswriter, Layman, Madhavok, Matt1735, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Popedirkbenedict, Precious Roy, Red Smith Clone, Rockbottom, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Starman, Stormsurge, Sxysptswrtr, Trooper Bari, WS, Songbird. Not Voting: Runnin Rebel.

Draft saved Draft deleted