1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 running thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Has to be kicked off?
    I don't know. For the Boise player, he won the game, win it with some grace, no need to tap the guy on the shoulder and yap in his ear -- what did he think was going to happen, how did he think the Oregon kid was going to react? What did he foresee as the end reaction to tapping the kid on the shoulder and taunting him?

As far as the students...another case of pseudo-tough guys, standing behind a railing and thinking it is an imaginary line of sanctity where they can say things they would never, ever say to someone out on the street and the Oregon kid called them on it.

Was the Oregon kid right? No, not even close. He deserves quick and stern punishment.

But this stuff, particularly with the students (and more so in basketball) has become epidemic and it is rooted in this phony toughness many students have, as they say things to athletes from the stands they wouldn't dare say out on the street somewhere.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Stay classy Oregon. No doubt Blount is gone next week as well. If I'm the coach, (and he was suspended on the first day of camp for similar crap) just cut him now and be done with it. You don't need that stuff. Sloppy win for Boise with the turnovers, but still more entertaining than that NC State SC game earlier.

3. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

You just KNOW Blount went after some players in his own locker room. You lose it like that, it takes awhile to cool off.
    Here's hoping a few O-Lineman grabbed him and knocked the piss out of him. That was like Milton Bradley in pads and a helmet.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Guy sucker punched a guy on the other team while wearing his helmet, tried to fight at least one teammate and tried to go into the stands and fight fans.

On national television.

He can't ever play again.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Some Oregon players spent the whole off-season talking about how they were going to smack BSU this season. (to their credit, many of the veterans kept their mouth shut).

Blount had the biggest mouth. It obviously was writing checks that couldn't be backed, and when he got called out on it, he lost it. Total embarrassment, on national TV. And fans at every school in the country talk crap at players leaving the field. Just shut up and keep walking.

Bellotti wanted to be AD; now he is and this thing is in his lap if Kelly doesn't nut up and either dismiss the kid completely, or suspend him for some real time, not half a game here, half a game there, was was Bellotti's practice when he was the coach and an important player got in trouble.

Blount has been in trouble every since he arrived in Eugene.

Plus the commissioner of the Pac-10 was there. What a great introduction to Oregon football.

6. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Two things:
    1. Can't argue with the rest, but I am not so sure it was a sucker punch. You watch it at full speed, and the Boise guy taps him on the shoulder and, in one motion the Oregon guy immediately spins and drops him.

2. Scott Frost is strong as an ox.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Missed it live. But holy hell.

No, Colin, that was NOT one move.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, I'm glad Blount took part of the pregame handshake. Sportsmanship at its finest.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Main Entry: sucker punch
    Function: transitive verb
    Date: 1964
    : to punch (a person) suddenly without warning and often without apparent provocation

It certainly came suddenly without warning. That was a sucker punch.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, it's a good thing the teammate Blount punched had his helmet on. That blow would likely have caused more injury.

11. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

He got tapped on the shoulder, he took one step and then he dropped the guy.
    Where I am from (and have been in a street fight or two) a sucker punch is hitting a guy who has absolutely no idea he could/might get punched. The Boise guy had an idea some retaliation was coming and it was within a second, at most.
    Maybe we have differing views on the definition of a sucker punch...to me, this was not one.

12. e4

e4 Member

just my opinion, but he should have been arrested right there on the field. wasn't there a cop pushing him off the field? i thought for sure that's where that was heading, then the cop lets him go with coaches into the locker room.

definitely a sucker punch.

Draft saved Draft deleted