1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping score on iPhone -- football season coming

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MrMojave, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

It's not that out of the question. I've seen several high school football asst. coaches have a stat program on their blackberry and keep up with the game pretty efficiently.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

People -- fans -- still keep score at baseball games.
    Your jump from sport to sport is leading you astray.
    How many fans you see at a football game asking, "Did they score that a four-yard run?"

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Do you know what it's called? It would be helpful for me because taking notes and trying to keep up while shooting pictures of the game can be a handful, especially on long plays. I've learned how to run and scribble while not dropping the camera.

4. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

unfortunately, i have no idea what it's called

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry for my snark earlier. I haven't kept score at a football game in years, but if I were to return to that, I wouldn't mind the long-hand because going thru the PBP and figuring the boxscore by hand often gave my the idea for my lede. I'm not sure I'd want to trade that in for an app.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your search.

6. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Try iscore. They have an awesome baseball scoring app that not only scores the game, but feeds a web site where fans can get constant real time updates. I was told they have a scoring program for damn near every sport, including badminton. Who knew?

7. MrMojave

MrMojave Member

iScore seems to only be for baseball ATM... a recent check is still showing no football scoring apps for iPhone. Anyone seen anything now that the season has started?

8. Hammurabi

Hammurabi New Member

There is a $2.99 app called scStats that can be used to keep score for a bunch of sports, football included. Whether it's any good or not, I have no idea.

9. Speedbump

Speedbump New Member

I have also seen high school volleyball and baseball coaches keeping statistics on their Blackberrys mid-game. I once looked into it for myself, and the software -- the name escapes me -- was just cost prohibitive and too unstable. I want to say it was going to cost a couple of hundred dollars.

All that being said, even if I did have an app that would do that, I would never trust it. To me, that's like doing an interview and relying only on a recorder. Sure, 90 percent of the time there is no problem at all. But all it takes is once to completely screw you. Hell, I still keep my own play-by-play and stats at college and pro games I cover, just in case. After all, technology is great until it fails on you.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We have one school where the JV coach keeps varsity stats on a Blackberry and he calls in the road games. Only real problems we had was when he had to flip back a few pages to check something I had a question on.

Maybe its just the time I came up in, when having an electric typewriter was considered one of the perks of being an editor on the college paper, but still don't mind keeping the PBP and stats by hand. It helps keep my head in the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted