1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Launches Pay Site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EagleMorph, Sep 1, 2009.

1. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09243/994501-455.stm

Post-Gazette added a second website to their coverage at midnight. They're keeping the content already published on the PG website free, but they're adding some new stuff and more extensive coverage to this pay version. Dejan Kovacevic, the Pirates beat writer, added in a blog post that as the site grows, some coverage that is free (like the blogs that are pretty popular on the PG website) may move over to the pay site.

It'll be interesting to see how the PG handles this and how well it does.

2. school of old

school of old New Member

I'm kind of excited by this. Without seeing the product in action, it appears to be a good combo of paid and free. Seems like they are actually bringing value to Web and not just worrying about print subscribers.

I grew up around Pittsburgh, don't live there anymore but read the PPG daily. I'm considering getting a subscription just to test it out even though I'm far from the area.

I've always thought the PPG was a step ahead of the rest in terms of the Web. I hope this works out for them.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

It seems their way of going about things is the right away. You get the same information you always have, still for free, but to get more, in-depth coverage, you have to pay.

Makes sense to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted