1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Might Buy A Baseball Team. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Now we're talking ...

Seriously, Pete. Independent league? Summer collegiate wood-bat league? What gives?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The definition Buck gave is correct today, but "semipro" also stems from the days when an otherwise amateur team (town teams, company teams, industrial teams, etc.) would pay certain players -- maybe the pitcher and perhaps another top player -- to come in for a game/series/week/season as ringers.

So those guys were professionals, because they got paid (usually enough to earn a living in those days, at least short-term), while the other local players were not paid/not professionals. Thus: semipro.

3. Independent league is much better - ownerwise - than an MLB affiliated team.
    With an indy league team you can do all sorts of promotions as well as use the stadium for other events. That is harder to do and more restrictive with MLB-affiliated clubs.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would think it would cost a lot more money. MLB teams provide the salaries for the players, coaches and manager. Independent owners have to pay for that out of their own pocket.

But Pete, if you're looking for promotional ideas how about:

"Save a Newspaper Night"

If you bring in your paper to the game, you get in for half-price.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Hard Liquor and Handgun night.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Most summer-wood bat leagues with collegiate or other amateur players are often referred to as semipro. The National Baseball Congress, Cape Cod League, Northwoods League in Minnesota, Alaska Baseball League, etc. I think this is the kind of team Pete is thinking about purchasing. Many teams in these leagues give their players everything from uniforms, cleats and bats and the players often live with host families, who house and feed players all summer.

Our city just got one of those this year and it was a hit. $1.50 for a 24-ounce beer. A shame I covered many games and could just go to one as a fan and drink.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Snow Tire Day?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know. Maybe it's just the close-to-the-vest part of me coming out, but this sounds like a bad idea rife with hidden costs, etc. Tread lightly.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I work in the front office of a junior hockey team and it is not cheap. The players don't get salaries but travel, equipment, staff salaries and dozens of other things that you'd never think of add up in a real hurry.

Oh yeah, check the lease with your stadium. Several times.

10. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

$20, you can sit in the dugout for three innings, $100 and you play right for a frame.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I think many stadiums ban alcohol after the 7th inning due to drinking/driving. So maybe move that one a little earlier.

In our area, I always thought a smart idea was sending a bus (make a deal with the local company) to the farm towns that are 20 minutes or more away. More attendees, more concessions, yada. In our Single-A area there are about seven towns that this would benefit. One for each day of the week.

Just remember that small teams are concession-driven businesses.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Did you name your newborn after a semi-pro team?

Draft saved Draft deleted