1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best HS coverage, non-newspaper sites

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deviljets7, Aug 16, 2009.

1. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I know we've done the "best HS sports Web sites" discussion before, but this one is a little different.

With so many new non-print news sites in the past year, I wanted to know which non-newspaper affiliated sites in your opinion provide the best HS sports coverage.

2. randomhero423

randomhero423 Member

fiveborosports.com

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Old Coach in Texas used to be dang good for gathering all manner of scoops until everyone else in the media sniffed it out. Now it's a part of Rivals (and largely a pay site).

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I can't think of any for my state.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yeah, that's pretty damn nice. Extremely sharp.

And I ditto The Old Coach.

6. redsox99

redsox99 Member

try smoaky.com for east Texas info and they branch out quite a bit into both Dallas and Houston areas with some district overlaps.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In Indiana, there are a few that pick up stuff here & there. Hickory Husker was a pretty good, open one until it became a Rivals pay site. The Gridiron Digest is essentially a compendium of links to newspaper Indiana HS football stories coupled with a wild message board.

From Northern Indiana, Regional Radio Sports Network (rrsn.com) has a pretty active site with some hard-core football/soccer coverage, but it's mostly geared toward their live broadcasts.

Most of the other sites are message boards with little else.

8. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

In Louisiana, there's a site called kenramsey.com that's not bad. It's not really deep into traditional coverage, but does post scores from every school in the state. In a state where there's a lot of backwaters and coverage outside the major metro areas is spotty, it's a valuable resource for keeping up with some teams. Especially around playoff time when a team from, say, Monroe could be playing a team from the boondocks south of Lake Charles and Lafayette.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Thirded. Love them, and I'm all the way across the country.

10. randomhero423

randomhero423 Member

great guys work there too. 3/4 are st john's graduates!

11. CoachesAid.com just bought this site, for what it's worth.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

That kenramsey.com site may (and does) have great info on it. But shitfire it makes my head hurt looking at it. Good thing CoachesAid bought it, if for no other reason than to update the look by, oh, 25 years.

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted