1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke: Compare and contrast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 9, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He doesn't write about female teacher-male or female student love.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

This brought quite the laugh.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks, but Poindexter set that sucker up.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think poindexter's point is: When it's the 50th column he's written on the same subject -- and when most of them include subtle digs at the "eggheads" that Plaschke thinks are "ruining" baseball -- he doesn't have to explicitly say it for readers to know what he means.

So yeah, I think poin can be excused for not judging the merits of this particular column. If you read Plaschke enough, you know where he's going with this.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Terrific column about an underappreciated segment of professional sports.
    One unresolved issue: Why does Pote no longer have an expense account? Are the Mariners unique or standard in this? Is it the result of the economy?
    Otherwise, great read.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And he's a columnist, so what? Just because one doesn't like a viewpoint or a meme doesn't mean it can't be a good read.

7. And did he? Go there, I mean?

As for not judging the merits of the column, this board is notorious for that. And not just about columns. If the words "Tebow" and "SEC" are in the same sentence, some people immediately hit their save string and post the same crap they always say, whether appropriate to the specifics of the topic or not. When you can't read a columnist's work and judge what's on the page, there's really no point in reading it and no point in having a conversation about the column.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Everybody who knows anything about baseball in Southern California knows who Phil Pote is. It was good to read about him and the situation he's in now. It was a good column for the LAT. If you're not from here, it's not for you.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nails.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That wasn't his point at all.

11. It may not be the main point of a said column, but when Plaschke is writing about old scouts, you can guarantee that it is lurking under the surface. The "Unlike virtually every other scout alive ..." sentence is his way of shoehorning it into this column.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

"I just think our scouts deserve a little recognition."

"That's what Veteran's Day is for, Bill."

"But is that really enough to honor our brave scouts?"

"Eh, heh, heh...they also have Memorial Day."

"Oh, T.J., maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong! The important thing is, scouts deserve a day to honor them!"

"They have two!"

"Well maybe they should have three. I'm Bill Plaschke."

Draft saved Draft deleted