1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hal McCoy's run is ending...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hpdrifter, Aug 6, 2009.

1. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/08/06/the_hammer_fell_today_and.html

(An excerpt)

The hammer fell today and it hurts like hell.

They’re putting the ol’ baseball scribe out to pasture and if there are teardrops on your screen, well, that’s from me, just an old softie.

My run is over - 37 years of bliss, doing a job that wasn’t a job. It was pure joy and pure fun.

And I wanted you, all my loyal readers and followers over the past 3 1/2 decades, to be the first to know. The run is nearly over.

The newspaper told me today that it will no longer cover the Cincinnati Reds, neither home nor away, beginning next season. And don’t blame the paper. It is the economic times and we’re all suffering. They just can’t afford the more than a quarter of a million dollars a year to send me coast-to-coast.

The Dayton Daily News has been nothing but great to me. How many companies would keep a legally blind employee and furnish that employee with a driver and/or a car service to get him to and from games? The paper did that for me and it certainly didn’t have to do it.

The DDN didn’t have to do that, but it did and I’m so forever grateful, just as I am for the 37 years they permitted me to do what I love to do so much.

So it is off to retirement after this season ends. It isn’t early retirement. I’m 68, soon to be 69. But it isn’t something I want to do. I feel like I still have my fastball at the keyboard and can deal with the curves thrown my way.

I feel as if my fingers have been cut off, but the economic times are harsh and I understand and I’m not angry. I just feel as if something good has ended prematurely, something I’m not completely ready to accept, but must.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

An absolute shame, and bullfuckingshit the paper can't afford to send him around the country covering the Reds.

Not that we needed any more confirmation, but if Hal McCoy isn't safe, absolutely nobody is.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I understand the economics, but it doesn't matter in this case. Just. Doesn't. Matter.

They should find something to keep him on as long as he wants.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Shit. I'm a huge Reds fan and McCoy was a significant part of that over the years. Sitting next to him in the press box at spring training many moons ago was a thrill.

And Dayton won't even cover the Reds at home. More newspaper suicide.

5. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Nothing is there when I click the link. And when I click for the DDN's latest blog posts, it shows a headline ("It's time to say goodbye") I assume is Hal's post, but that also takes me to a blank page.

Would the paper have yanked it down? I hope that isn't the case.

Never mind. It's there now.

What sad news.

6. hankschu

hankschu Member

I'm literally in tears. What a great man, a great writer and a great friend.

Good luck, Hal. The business doesn't deserve you.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dammit. What a huge, huge loss. :'(

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Ditto to every post here.

The question I always ask is how does this make your publication better? Then again, I realize that the people making these decisions don't have the answer, and don't care.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bad news, especially for people who live in Dayton and like baseball.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Can't be too many of them out there [/management]

Terrible move. When I first really got into sports journalism and was thinking of reporters to read on a regular basis, Hal's name popped to the top of my list.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

A perfect summation.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow, Dayton. When you announced buyouts, I hoped to God you wouldn't treat Hal like shit. And you did. Fuck, just fuck... there are no words to describe this decision.

Rot.
    In.
    Hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted