1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Brewer intervew with TBL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

2. CCaple

CCaple Member

Jerry's an absolute class act. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, no ego, always willing to bullshit about anything, even with a college kid like me. He came and talked with our newsroom at the UW student paper for about two hours one day, just telling stories and talking about journalism.

That Andruw Jones story is priceless.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm now more surprised when SportsJournalists.com ISN'T mentioned on TBL.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry. this is one admited "geezer" who couldn't care less what a 31-year-old columnist thinks about anything. sorry.

not enough experience at the job of "just" being a reporter nor experienced enough at life for his opinion to matter, either. he should still be listening, not lecturing. and columnists are nothing if not lecturer's correct? ??? ??? ??? ???

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point, shockey. I won't speak to an athlete who is under 35 either. Who cares what toddlers in their 20s have to say? Give me Brett Favre weighing retirement any day.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

come backiwhen you have something constructive to add, son.

the players are the story. what they think, as wrong-minded as it might be, and do is part are the subjects of the stories we write. i'm paid to find out what they think and write about it.

a columnist is supposed to tell me what he thinks while giving me a reason to care about what he thinks. it's a trust thing. there ain't no 31-year-old i can think of who's opinion i care about enough to read.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ was between 30 and 33 during the years of his ministry.

8. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

I will be HUGELY disappointed in the SportsJournalists.com community if SOMEONE does not come up with a home-run smart-ass retort to this line.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Sorry, but that makes about as much sense as a 31-year-old saying he won't pay attention to columnists over 50 because they're too old and out of touch for their opinion to matter. I have no idea what Brewer's background is, but I wouldn't immediately dismiss a 31 year old man for not having enough life experience.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

don't be sorry. just an opinion. one i hold dear and true.

and lest anyone think it's jealousy, it's not. knowing your limitations is a huge plus to me. i'm 52 with no desire to be a general columnist. for a variety of reasons.

that said, while i worked for a major metro, i was offered a chance to go from "just" a beat reporter on an nfl beat to our nfl columnist. i'd "only" been on the beat four years and had missed another for medical reasons. when the nfl job opened up it was offered to me -- perhaps foolish, i turned it down. i didn't think i was ready. i was 30.

i recommended a guy who was hired and remains there. i later had to leave the paper for the same job with another, but i never regretted it. i wasn't ready.

now, jerry may indeed be ready. still doesn't mean inexperienced opinion should influence me. just ain't happening. sorry back at ya.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Obviously, Jesus was a blogger: 33-years-old, lives at home, thinks he's God, etc.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted