1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online comments: racist, idiotic completely useless...and bad for journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Jul 26, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When I was at my previous shop, I would oppose allowing online comments on stories every chance I'd get.

Of course, I also opposed having reporters or editors shoot video too, but that's another story.

Online comments are the bane of a good newspaper's existence.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Always funny.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tell it to the sellers of Kleenex, hand lotion and bedsheets.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. The whole thing was a misguided attempt to stir website traffic.

On one hand, management likes to boast about how many people are on their website. And the thing that drives that is controversy. Nothing like dropping a few F-bombs to get the blood boiling, no matter what the topic. What I've seen, however, is that the "conversation" quickly devolves into a pissing match between two or three people and the rest tune out. (Sort of like some threads around here.) Is that helping the paper or anyone else?

Ditch the whole comments section.

6. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

I wrote a story about a local kid who died and when I was working on a follow-up, I couldn't get people to talk to me because of hateful comments on the original story. So yeah, not a big fan of them right now.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Online comments are terribly destructive to the newspaper's brand. I can't believe that there are people who would argue otherwise.

8. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

I really hate when I read a story or column that references a reader's comment on a previous story and I've been seeing that more often lately.

9. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I can't believe that so many newspapers are pandering to the lowest common denominator like they are with these user comments.

Great, the newspaper's Web site gets a lot of hits, and still aren't making a profit. Meanwhile, how can I take my company serious about wanted to engage readers with compelling stories and draw in new readers and embrace diversity when almost every reader comment I see on our site looks like it could have been written by the Klan. I hope they're proud of their interaction with our "public."

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

A politician signed up on our Web site and ranted about other state representatives in the comments section. We caught him and got a good story out of it. That's the only good thing comments have done for my rag.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Stories have comments the same reason blogs do - to create a more social site and make sure it is the place to go to for everything. Granted, moderating comments can be a pain in the ass (and most places from what I've seen don't have a great system) and not everyone is going to provide a useful discourse, but you have to take the good with the bad in all walks of life.

12. school of old

school of old New Member

The days of one-way media are over. Musicians release masters so that fans can remix their work. Movies engage people with alternate reality games. Newspapers do comments on the Web.

If you wanted one-sided communication, you wouldn't be on the Internet.

Now that doesn't mean there aren't problems with the current system. If your paper is doing comments purely for page hits, you'll probably get nothing but trash. Engagement is a must. Moderating these forums takes work and possibly manpower that newspapers no longer have. However, labeling all comments and commentors as terrible simply because you've had bad experiences won't solve a thing. I'd recommend trying to use the tool for something positive.

Draft saved Draft deleted