1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HELP ME EAT IN CHICAGO!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Jul 24, 2009.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

All this talk of hot dog stands ... it's been a while (13 years or so), but does anyone know if Demon Dogs is still around, under the El tracks near DePaul? Good dogs, really good tamales, and great Chicago (the band) memorabilia all over the walls.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yelp says it's gone.

The most talked about hot dog place now is Hot Doug's.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hot-dougs-chicago#hrid:RoKe4cLbj4d8JxnzNB_zLA/src:search/query:demon%20dogs

It was featured on No Reservations and has had a line out the door every time I've driven by.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Frontera Grill is a great restaurant, but the best mexican restaurant in the country is definitely not in Chicago.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Always loved going to the Italian Village on Monroe St. It's actually 3 different restaurants in the same building. The Village, the one on the upper floor, is my personal preference.

http://www.italianvillage-chicago.com/

Not sure it's the right fit for a post ballgame, boys weekend group, but you can make that call.

Right near there, there's a rather famous German restaurant---Berghoff's. Not much of a German food conneisseur myself, but certainly they've been around a long time.

5. Wow, anyone that suggests that place has clearly never been to and eaten food in New Orleans. Why would anybody go to Chicago and eat Cajun food or in Heaven on Seven's case a BAD and BLAND imitation of Cajun food?

So many other better places ...

For AMAZING thin pizza a few blocks west of the ballpark, D'Agostino's (1351 W. Addison).

For the BEST hamburger, Moody's Pub (www.moodyspub.com) is a few miles north of the ballpark. The Moody Bleu Burger is to die for. In the summer, the sangria on the patio is sweet. They are a hole in the wall, so it's easy to miss. They're also cash only. But it's well worth it.

I'm thinking the fondue place near DePaul that someone else mention is Geja's Cafe. (www.gejascafe.com) It is pretty good, but it's generally considered a romantic date restaurant, so I'm thinking that's not what you're looking for.

I happen to like Superdawg, but I also like Gold Coast Dogs.

Orange for Breakfast is good. It's a few blocks down Clark St. from Wrigley.

The place I was going to recommend that was right across the street from Wrigley was Tuscany - great Italian restaurant. The garlic spread they bring out with the bread before the meal is to die for. Great veal with sun dried tomatoes and pesto sauce and a really cool pear pasta dish. Perfect for after a Cubs game. But then I looked at their web site just to confirm they were still there and, while other locations in the Chicago area are still there, it appears the one by Wrigley has closed down. I was just there last Cubs season. Can anybody confirm if this Tuscany is closed?

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I just went to the Billy Goat today. Nice to see nothing has changed.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think there's a TGI Fridays near the park.

[​IMG]

8. JakeandElwood

And Aurelio's for dinner. Excellent day of food in Chicagoland.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Shit, that'll work.

10. JakeandElwood

It absolutely will. The trip to the Billy Goat was a highlight as always. Although I was disappointed the guy didn't make me get a triple cheezborger like he has in the past. And Aurelio's, even when it's in the suburbs, is always good.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Anybody check out the specials today at Rock Bottom?

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

WFW

If you visit Chicago and can't track down some great grub, you should get both your nose and taste buds checked out. Can't go wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted