1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

$1,500 a month for a studio?!?!? I hope you mean a RECORDING studio, or a TV studio, or something beyond an apartment. Holy crap! You'd have to make an arm and a leg just to break even!

2. VJ

VJ Member

$1500 for a studio is like downtown DC. Needless to say, there aren't many journalists living there.

3. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Know someone in a one-bedroom in a NOVA suburb for somewhere around $1400, too.

Maryland suburbs are a little more reasonable depending on where you are. I believe the closer you get to Baltimore, the cheaper it gets, but you're driving more.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I live in NoVA, like spup's friend, and pay about the same price. If my girlfriend didn't work, we'd never be able to afford the rent. And we don't live super-close in (we're relatively close to Franconia-Springfield Metro). If you don't mind a drive, I'd look a little further south. But remember, you would have to drive across D.C. On the way to work.

5. DCguy

DCguy Member

I pay $900/month in Glover Park, just north of Georgetown. If you look around or even consider getting a roommate, you can find something cheaper than 1400

6. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

The best value in the city is probably Northeast D.C. right now though. I wouldn't go jogging at midnight but it's relatively safe, depending on the neighborhood. Everyone I know in D.C. right out of school lives either in NE or out in Crystal City (in VA), with NE being the far more economical option.

7. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Yes, bottom line is that there are places in DC and in the immediate area that are reasonably affordable; it's a sliding scale depending on one or two incomes, roommate or no roommate, size of your apartment/condo/home, and where exactly you live.

Commute and the treachery of traffic is the same: All depends on where you live, where you're coming from and when you're coming in to work.

8. VJ

VJ Member

Our office is located right near the DC/MD border, so living in MD is probably preferable commute-wise to VA if you're trying to avoid living in the city. There are definitely some affordable places in the MD suburbs.

9. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Giving this a bump to get it back on the front page. Cheers!

10. God, I hate Crystal (both meth and City). For what you're paying there, you can live in soooo many better (and livelier) places. Seriously. The place is as exciting as Del Boca Vista when the Seinfelds aren't there. But then again, if you're afraid of DC, you could care less.

There are a lot of great places in NE. Brookland is less dense than many areas of DC and the rents are affordable. You can get studios for less than $800, utilities included. Unless you're shacking up with someone, I see 1BRs as excessive. A decent sized studio is fine. Lots of Fort Totten and Takoma are good, and affordable, as well.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because responding to month-old posts isn't at all pointless: It's always been my understanding that the Times isn't near a Metro station.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted