1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football tab vs. broadsheet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarltonBanks, Jul 17, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Does anyone not run a high school football tab in a tab form anymore? Are there any benefits to going broadsheet over an actual tab?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tabs are usually cheaper, and they're much easier for readers to deal with. Some papers still go broadsheet, though, probably because their printers aren't configured for a tab.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

We've run broadsheet the last 10 years, at least.

Helps the ad department (allegedly) to be more diverse in the type/size ads they (don't try to) sell.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Don't want to out myself, but we run a pull-out tab weekly during football season so I know we have the capability. I just think the broadsheets are clunky and do not serve their purpose, give the readers something they keep and refer to all season.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

We run a tab. Last year's was about 24 pages, the year before that about 32 or so. It's always been a tab, from what I can remember.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

we run a 48-page high school tab and a 16-page broadsheet college section.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We continue to run a tab because, in the words of our ad director, "We want something people will keep on their coffee table."

Never mind that broadsheets are the only thing that have won APSEs lately.

If I had my druthers, we'd blow up our football tab and do a monthlong "media tour" in the regular paper.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yes. This would be so much less painful to do.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

48 page fall sports tab for us.

10. school of old

school of old New Member

We actually did this last year. We just ran a profile of a high school each day for like two weeks. Never heard if people liked it more or less than before.

I think I prefer all of it in one package. It makes it easier to keep for reference around the office, and I imagine some readers feel the same.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

We do a tab, but also feature one team per day starting the day of preseason practices. It can get tiring and repetitive, but it also allows us to use the tab for enterprise/feature stuff and get the team basics out of the way.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We tried that for a couple of years when I got to my paper, but we have so many schools to cover that we couldn't get everyone in between the start of two-a-days and the season. We'd have to double up or triple up on occasion to get the job done. Maybe at some point in a year or two we will rethink our approach.

Draft saved Draft deleted