1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What constitutes a "helluva sports editor?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Don Drysdale, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as getting out of the biz too soon. :mad:

2. AD

AD Active Member

dan mcgrath, paul anger, tim burke, don skwar, bill dwyre.

3. generalleespeaking

generalleespeaking New Member

Across the past 30 years, I've worked for some terrific SEs and some of the worst in the business. The biggest difference between the two? The good ones trusted the people they hired, the bad ones didn't. The good ones always went to bat for their people, the bad ones never did. The good ones knew they didn't have all the answers, the bad ones thought they were the only ones with any answers. The good ones made the job fun, the bad ones made everyone miserable. Some of the good ones I've worked for? Craig Stanke. Joe DeSalvo. Greg Gibson. Ralph Routon. And a guy that gets ripped far too much and doesn't get nearly enough credit for putting out a fun, lively sports section: Greg Gallo. He pushes hard -- yes, sometimes, he pushes the envelope, too -- but he makes you better. Some of the bad ones? I won't bother to list them, though I doubt they know who they are.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I've had two SEs during my career. One was alright, while the other stood out immensely. He worked 80 hours per week, sometimes more, let his staff do its job without micromanaging and gave complete trust to us. He would take photos if a photographer couldn't make it, he'd pick up stories when we were overloaded and he also designed and did lay-out as well.

He was the definition of kick-ass.

5. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Robinson was indeed part of the Miami Herald stable in the late '70s and early '80s. He was known as "Dr. O," short for "Dr. Organization."

I'll also stand behind everything Frank said about Anger but add an anecdote that happened before Frank came to Miami. Not long after Anger got the job, taking over for the legendary Ed "The Hornet" Storin, he was so shaky a manager that the staff came very, very close to staging a revolt. Instead, a few staffers talked to him and aired their complaints, and he did what any good manager would do (even if he wasn't one yet) - he listened.

And he got better. He grew into the job like no one I've ever seen before or since. There are dozens of us still in the business who consider him a mentor and are proud to say we worked for him. But if you'd told me that back in 1979, I wouldn't have believed it.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I didn't actually know the backstory on Anger. He remains one of the best I've worked for, and I learned a lot from him -- and I wasn't really his best guy then (I hope I got better).

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Good for Anger to listen and not stubborn up and keep going down the path he was going.

Draft saved Draft deleted