1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Really looking forward to the email reminding me to keep motivating the survivors, we're just as good as we were, there's still great stuff to do, blah, blah, freaking blah. We'll press on because that's what we do and we have a great deal of pride in what we do. Some of us care too much. So please save that cheerleading, corporate BS for your kids. I don't want to hear it. Not today.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Indy Star was the same way. When times were OK 3-4 years ago they launched multiple glossy magazines trying to capture advertisers in the affluent areas. Most of them didn't make it and now people are paying the price. Just terrible.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Seconded. Michael is a great journalist and even better person.

4. WS

WS Member

Unless Montgomery isn't done yet, from what I was told they lost a receptionist and one of the metro editors, who had been at the paper for about 9 years. I think your friend is safe.

5. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

As Jeff mentioned earlier in the thread, we lost two in sports in Phoenix (among the roughly 100 layoffs building-wide): assistant sports editor Dave Lumia and golf writer John Davis.

Just wanted to include their names, and say that it was an honor to work with them both.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Your friend posted on Facebook that he survived. Said there were 12 layoffs in Montgomery.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Amen. And as someone who knows you, glad you made it. This time. This sucks.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

From a friend's Facebook post: 101 gone in Cincinnati.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For some reason, I heard Jim McKay's voice when I read that.

And got shivers.

FTS, suits! Special place in hell for y'all.

10. WS

WS Member

of the 12 layoffs in Montgomery, 2 came from the newsroom. One was a receptionist, and one was Tom Ensey, who was in sports for 7 years before moving to one of the metro editor positions

Tom's a great guy and a hell of a writer. Best of luck, Tom

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Aww, man. Tom is a friend of mine, going back to his days as SID at Troy. I brought him some boudin and some other Cajun delicacy on a road trip there one year, and he named me Sportswriter of the Millennium in his game notes for the next weekend. He went a step further and said I had an excellent chance to repeat in the next millennium.

Loved his sense of humor. Loved his taste in music. Loved his personality.

Hate to hear about this. Tom, my friend, gimme a shout when you get over the sting -- and even if you need help doing so. Take care, and good luck to everyone else out there, working and freshly looking.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Final Indy total, from Ruth Holladay's blog:

http://www.ruthholladay.com/

Here is the final brutal tally --- 37 people in all. A Guild officer is the source:

")Thomas, Jackie AME/Features
    2)Greenberg, Allen Assistant Metro Editor/State Government
    3)Seifert, Channon Features Art Director
    4)Carr, Ricky building services-GC (guild contract)
    5)Baugh, Vanessa building services-GC
    6)Abney, William building services-GC
    7)Barber, Steven building services-GC
    8)Fazle, Rasheed online-GC
    9) Demaree, Rosalyn V -- editor in the Fishers-based north office
    10) Reichanadter, Jeri -- photographer, picture desk, Fishers-GC
    11) Cooper, Melinda -- calendar desk, Fishers-GC
    12) Eggert, Donna -- West bureau paraprofessional-GC
    13) Gouveia, Marisol - features copy desk-GC
    14) Hawn, John -- features copy desk chief
    15) Jordan, Chris -- features designer-GC
    16) Jonason, Bob -- online/calendar desk
    17) Petrina, Renee -- copy desk-GC
    18) Dunkin, Zach -- features (travel) reporter-GC
    19) Halladay, Sylvia -- news researcher. Also secretary of Indy News Guild and secretary on contract bargaining team -GC
    20) Watson, Michelle -- copy desk. Also member of the contract bargaining team. -GC
    21) Roberts, Shirley -- business copy desk

"The Indianapolis Star as a whole lost 37 people today.

Draft saved Draft deleted