1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson's death - Absolutely 1A story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Agree completely. If you're going to make the argument that it's all local, then fine. But you put this Iran story in the lead spot as in this case, then I make this leap: In the editors' minds, their message to the readers is, "Hey, the front page of the newspaper is important, and see, we're leading with the very important story about Iran and not putting this silly celebrity story on the front. We're important newspaper editors, and we're not going to give in to the lowest common demoninator."

Iran is an important story; it wasn't big enough yesterday to justify this in any way.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Of the front pages I have seen, this is probably my favorite.
    And of the nine Arkansas papers on Newseum, only one put a Jackson story on the front.
    Seven had front page refers and one paper had nothing at all on the cover.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, I noticed that about Arkansas. Only state I've seen so far on Newseum with such a striking lack of A1 coverage on Jackson. What gives?

4. Public School

Public School New Member

I got you fellas beat. For perspective, daily PM paper. Podunkville. 1-2 sections per day depending on ads. Use the AP pretty regularly to fill up space where there's no more local stuff to put on it. Hyperlocal to the extreme. Today's paper...no Jackson on the front. No Jackson on the inside. No mention of it AT ALL. And we ran, as I counted, 6 other wire stories and an addition "Dear Abby" thing.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yep, we have a winner. No beating that, I don't think.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I wish I knew how to post pictures because I'd love to post this front page from a Brazil paper today, but you'll have to click on the link.

I like it.

http://www.pdnpulse.com/2009/06/the-best-michael-jackson-front-page.html

7. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

that arkansas front page needs more text.

8. Wow! What were the wire stories? I'd guess Iran is one. Please don't tell me your place ran something about Farrah and not Michael.

9. Public School

Public School New Member

They were all from the state wire and, from what I remember, all different spin-offs on how bad the economy is. And no, no Farrah either.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ok, you got me. I'm laughing.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Calgary Sun also went with the glove:

[​IMG]

I like the Brazil paper's version more.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

I can certainly understand Rick's paper's perspective. If it's what the readers want, so be it, especially if he feels they're making a profit.

That's just the way his area is. Not every single city is the same, and as we've seen, it's not like his paper is the only one to not include MJ on 1A.

Different tastes for different people. Your newspaper serves your community, and you work and plan accordingly.

It seems Rick's shop did that, and it's not like he wholeheartedly agrees with it. He just understands where they're coming from, as we all should. It's just the way things are these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted