1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson's death - Absolutely 1A story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 25, 2009.

1. If he works for a daily paper, it's really sad that it's come to this. A weekly I could somewhat understand because they basically do cover talent shows and 4h club and such.

I can kind of see the financial point he's arguing to an extent, but for something HUGE - war starting, death of a president, etc. - you just have to have that on A1.

Someone else mentioned that there was a huge local news night in their coverage area, so they were going to refer to Jackson from A1. That might be exception situation.

In Stainville, it sounds like they ALWAYS without fail put anything local from 4h club to city council ahead of HUGE national news. And, sorry, but that's just silly.

Not trying to attack you Rick, because it doesn't even sound like you call the shots. More just saying that it's sad that it's come to this.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Then it's not a newspaper, period. It's a nichepaper. (I bet some marketing dork could take that term and run with it.)

News judgment is a skill, and I don't doubt that in smaller markets it involves making some tough and often-unpopular calls. But proper news judgment is also realizing when there isn't a decision to be made. Jackson death is automatic 1A.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

There is a stench of big-paper arrogance coming from the folks ripping Rick Stain because his small-town daily believes its role is to report the local news that local readers want to see. "You can't be a REAL newspaper if you don't play this big national story the way we think you should," is the attitude I'm seeing.

You folks don't live in Podunk. I believe Rick when he says there probably aren't three people in his neck of the woods who give a flying fuck about Michael Jackson, and the rest sure as hell don't care about reading about him on the front page of their paper.

Hell, we're not quite Podunk here and we just stripped a combo story on him and Farrah Fawcett across the front with mugs of each. That's sufficient for us, and running it inside is sufficient for Rick's paper. And unless you people are willing to walk a mile or two in his shoes you have no right to judge him or his NEWSpaper.

4. playthrough

This place tends to be rather judgmental. It's a journalism board.

I agree with giving readerships what they'll most likely be interested in -- up to a point. Is this a popularity contest or, to use the word again, a newspaper?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ain't that the truth. But, yeah, I would think it would go on A1. Not like North Korea has released the hounds (missiles) just yet.

But, no, it's not 9/11 all over again.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, you are so very wrong about that.

It became a huge story everywhere in the United States the moment all airplanes in the U.S. were grounded. That brought it home everywhere.

7. Read and weep

Read and weep Member

I can easily see in a smaller market where this story could easily get trumped by a big local story as the lead on A1. What if a family of five goes up in flames in a tragic house fire? The local mayor is shot and killed in a robbery? The police chief is arrested for rape? You can't tell me Michael Jackson's death at 5 p.m. on a Thursday would be a more-read story than those examples in the Friday morning paper.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Can't resist weighing in on the "Stainville" approach to A1.

I agree with the approach at Rick Stain's shop 98 percent of the time. But Jackson's death fits in the 2 percent.

Go to a local record store (if those dinosaurs still exist!), talk to the programming guy at the local radio station, talk to the lady organizing Stainville High's Class of 1984 25-year reunion.

Localized or not, something needs to go out front on Michael Jackson's death.

That said, you're right about the bake sales, local sports and -- especially -- the local police blotter, Rick. If you're a small-town daily or a weekly, those are your bread and butter.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, hell, I'm proud of you for sticking up for your convictions. Way to go, mate.

10. playthrough

Not sure this thread meant Jackson being the lead 1A story. Just on the front. Some of the posts here make it sound like a cover can't have five stories anymore.

11. Read and weep

Read and weep Member

Have you seen the size of most papers these days - their width keeps shrinking? If you've got a gigantic local story that warrants one or two pieces or art and the presence of more than one story about it, you haven't got much room left.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Rick, I understand where you are coming from. Not sure if i would be willing to work at a paper with that philosophy, but I do understand it.

Draft saved Draft deleted