1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were stuck on an island....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarltonBanks, Jun 12, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, since Carlton didn't put all this wiggle room in here, I'm also going to, you know, actually answer the question. And I don't think I'm going to be stretching the category by saying:

"You Gotta Play Hurt."
    "Dead Solid Perfect (a close winner over Semi-Tough).
    And, to keep something with a little more gravity in there, I'll say:

"When Pride Still Mattered" because I thought David Maraniss did a great job of writing both a sports book and a story about the era.

I'm feeling guilty about not being much farther into "1960" than I am.

As for the first two, for a little fun and thinking about the way the business used to be (with the first one), I could read them over and over.

2. When Pride Still Mattered is a great read. I'd also want Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" so I could feel like some people had it a lot worse than me in a forlorn outpost. Horns Hogs and Nixon Coming was pretty good, too.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Video-capable iPod + one of those little solar panels that folds out like a flower = victory! :D

As to the question ...

Depends on whether you think sailing is a sport. If so, I'd want The Complete Idiot's Guide to Boating and Sailing, Boatbuilding: A Complete Handbook of Wooden Boat Construction and either Chapman Piloting and Seamanship or The Practical Mariner's Book of Knowledge. :)

4. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Especially like your third choice, KJIM. My wife is a GWTW freak, but for years I resisted both the book and the movie, thinking both would be long and boring. Then, one night during a bout with insomnia, I came across a hardbound volume of the book in my living room. I didn't even know we owned it (turns out my wife got it from my mother, of all people).

Well, I figured THIS will certainly put me to sleep, so I started in. Boy, was I wrong. I couldn't put it down. It's definitely in my top 3 books of all time. More important, I think it's an absolutely necessary read if you want to understand the Civil War era beyond the way overly simplistic North=Good, South=Evil perspective.

My interest level also was elevated by the fact that I've been lucky enough to work with a couple of people who actually knew Margaret Mitchell.

Obviously, I highly recommend it. And as always, book first, movie second.

FOS

Draft saved Draft deleted