1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"the dark knight"/maggie g. debate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Baloo

Baloo Member

I just saw this on hbo this weekend... and liked it much less than BB. Here's why: The only funny, human moment I recall was when Freeman asked the punk employee if he really wanted to out a billionaire who spends his night fighting crime. Freeman's delivery was priceless. I know it's a dark movie and all, but that doesn't mean there can't be moments of humanity and humor. Jaws is one of my favorite examples of this - it's a movie about a shark that eats people, but the scenes between Dreyfus and Roy Schneider - when Dreyfus comes over for dinner, for example, an between those two and Quint on the boat - those are fantastic, and funny.

I've watched BB several times. I doubt I'll bother to watch TDK a second time. The denouement, also, went on far, far too long. Did they lay off an editor during production?

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Why was Bales voice so weird when being "Batman"? In Batman Begins it didn't sound like he was speaking through a sound machine>.....

I figured Maggie G. was cast in the movie because of her looks.....she could play some freaky looking villain without needing makeup.

She seems like one of those rich hippy chicks that hangs in SoHo and showers once a week. Peter Saaaargsarrrd can have her.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I understand your point, but I don't think that was the only such moment in The Dark Knight. The scene with Alfred when Bruce was going to turn himself in worked on that level as well.

They also had some creepy, uncomfortable funny moments, such as the Joker walking away from the hospital in the nurse's outfit, fiddling with the remote for his explosives. I remember that getting a surprisingly good laugh in the theater.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Whatever, guys ...

[​IMG]

I'd hit it.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

From an SNL "Weekend Update" this season:

- Peter Sarsgaard and Maggie Gyllenhaal were married this past weekend. Before the wedding, the couple registered at Craate and Baarrehyl.

- Peter Sarsgaard and Maggie Gyllenhaal were married this past weekend. The wedding video is already nominated for an Independent Spirit Award.

- Peter Sarsgaard and Maggie Gyllenhaal were married this past weekend. Here is their official celebrity couple nickname: AAARAAA.

- Peter Sarsgaard and Maggie Gyllenhaal were married this past weekend. They wrote their own vowels.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Maggie G. was terrible in TDK on all levels. I much perfered Holmes to Gyllenhaal, she at least seemed to have a feeling for the role that fit with the movie. Gyllenhaal just looked out of place and out of rhythm the entire movie.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That pic is another great example of how modern photography techniques can take a photo of a person and turn it into something completely different. She doesn't really look like that.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

[​IMG]

Maggie's capable of being very attractive, but she doesn't seem to keep a makeup/wardrobe person around all the time like some folks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Okay, that one's pretty good.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just wanted to point out that I never would have called her homely if Fenian were still here. :D

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think she's very attractive and she's a great actress, but she was wrong for that part on so many different levels.

OK, who do you cast as Wayne's love interest in the next film?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Unless it is Catwoman, he shouldn't have one, except perhaps the bimbo/eye candy variety.

Just tossing one out there without much thought. Malin Ackerman as Selina Kyle?

Draft saved Draft deleted