1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My phone went swimming less than 45 minutes after eating ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jun 14, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Did this two years ago, went to Wal-mart, got an unlocked go-phone, transferred sim card, used new go-phone for 20 months without a hitch.

Go-phone cost: $20.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I know you said you didn't want to spend a lot of money on an iPhone, but I'll just mention that my iPhone is the single best piece of technology I've ever owned. (And that's the 3G, not even the 3GS that's coming out later this week.)

I used it for everything. Use it more than my computer.

Use it for email, internet and phone (of course), but also can use it to listen to music, watch movies on a plane, get a map of where I'm going, take a picture to post to my blog, keep notes of my expenses, set an alarm clock, keep track of my schedule... I could go on and on

Just yesterday I was standing outside at my grill and thinking "What's the temperature supposed to be for ground beef to be medium rare?" I popped open safari, googled, and had the answer within 30 seconds.

Anyway, done shilling for Apple.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Fucking. Classic.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

No need to be suspicious; if you buy from a reputable source everything should be great. You're basically buying the same phone except not going through your carrier. I bought my last phone through my carrier six years ago and have bought unlocked phones ever since. Often you pay a little more for the phone, but I also have never extended my contract.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Same here ... probably the best $199 I've spent. Too bad I can't afford the upgrade.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Kid was a quintessential Star Wars nerd, and I say that as someone whose favorite movie is Return of the Jedi. Somehow, I manage to fit in OK without using Lando Calrissian as a byline. :)

Anyway, I went back today and got someone who knew what they were doing and they gave me a Go phone for $30. It still uses my existing service, so I'm not paying for the minutes twice, which is what I was afraid of with a "prepaid" phone. It's pretty much the tin can and string of the cell phone world, but it will do until November when I can get a full upgrade and have this wedding in the rearview.

Then it'll be a matter of deciding between a Blackberry and an iPhone.

I'm just glad to have a phone again after 12 days. Forget dysentery, the reason the Oregon Trail sucked so bad was no one had cell phones.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is why I refuse to sign a contract with a cell-phone company.

8. There is no decision here. Get the iPhone, especially the new one, when you can.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Agreed. We have both in my household and there's no comparison.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

No way. Get the Blackberry. Much better, IMO. Anything the iPhone can do, the Blackberry can do just as well or better.

11. KG

KG Active Member

I bought my $400 phone for $40 on ebay. Just sayin.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

One of us must be in some sort of bizarro world. I've used both extensively, and can't think of anything the BlackBerry can do as well as -- much less better than -- an iPhone. It's like comparing Macs and PCs, but if the PC were still running MS-DOS.

Draft saved Draft deleted