1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA and NCAA fastbreaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 8, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its the only area of the game I see that has regressed in the last few decades. Players today are bigger, faster, more skilled than ever before. All around just plain better.

But it pains me to watch fast break opportunities in the NBA or NCAA D-1. In general, players don't fill up the lanes as well, and the player with the ball invariably takes it to the hole, come hell or high water.

Maybe I am just old, but it used to be figuratively a slam dunk if it was 2-1 or 3-2. Now I see so many fastbreaks that get bogged down by the person with the ball taking it to the hole, and missing the layup.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Fill your lane!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'm waiting for the connection to teacher-student sex.

Did I miss it?

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Fastbreak is a euphemism for dirty, dirty teacher-student sex.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Quality work gentlemen.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jeez, you make six or seven hundred posts on a subject and you get pigeonholed around here..

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fastbreaks have all but disappeared from basketball due to several reasons:

1) the increasingly perimeter-oriented structure of most offenses, usually with three players out around the arc and thus in position to get back on defense to stop fast breaks;

2) increasing emphasis by coaches on defensive break prevention vs. offensive rebounding. It used to be common to send three players to the boards, with two back -- some teams would go "four to the boards." Now it is almost unheard of to send three players "unconditionally" to the boards (wing players are usually told to take off for the defensive end as soon as it is apparent the rebound will go to the other side).

3) much greater emphasis is being put on contesting/denying outlet passes.

4) control freak coaches, who abhor players using dipsy-doo, shake-and-bake, slamma-jamma moves on fast breaks (that is, players actually playing basketball ::) ). They'd rather see the point guard walk the ball down, spread the floor, call a play, milk the clock, run a pick-and-roll, drive-and-kick for a 3-pointer at the shot clock buzzer, because then everyone says, "hoo boy, that team runs a great halfcourt offense, they must be well-coached." Eighty percent of coaches will shit a brick if anybody takes a shot with more than five seconds left on the shot clock. Players are ordered never to push fast break situations unless they have a complete mismatch -- 3- or 4-on-1. They are told never to push fast breaks if numbers are even. There is no such thing as a "secondary break" any more. Given the greater emphasis on sending players back on defense, as a result fast breaks have all but completely disappeared from the sport.

The game has completely gone to shit; it's devolved into a sumo-wrestling exercise in sludgeball and a battle of egos between clipboard-waving guys in Armani suits.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Starman pretty much summed it up.

I do hate watching players think that going to the free throw line is a positive result of a two-on-one, but coaches not sending anyone in to rebound on offense probably is the biggest downfall.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Starman knocked that out of the park, but the one thing I hate more than anything else about the NBA is that a guy can just grab the guy with the ball while he's on a break, and it's not an intentional foul. The clear path rule is a good addition, but putting a guy in a bear hug is an intentional foul. Why that's legal, I'll never know.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I must be watching a different NBA than everyone else.

The two biggest changes are the defensive commitment of teams to try and get back -- in part made easier because of perimeter oriented offences and partly because of better coaching.

Second is the fact that wing players are more likely to spot up in a 3 on 2 or 4 on 3 situation.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

uh, that's kinda like exactly what I said, except I wouldn't necessarily go along with the coaching necessarily being "better."

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Coaching which prevents the other team from scoring easy points is usually "better". I know you hate the Riley-era Knicks and their ilk, but they ushered in the type of effort which took every game and possession seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted