1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL whoring out to NBC, no surprise here

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Det. Jimmy McNulty, May 28, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I know. NHL quality includes size of arena as well as all of the other amenities. And it is much easier to get away with a sub-standard arena in an opening weekend setting than for a full season.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True, but it would require splitting crews in both cities. This way, NBC doesn't have to set up in Pittsburgh unless and until the series reaches a Game 6.

What you suggested would be fine with me. I did love Bettman's press conference explanation about wanting "to try something different". To build momentum in the series. It'll turn out fine, but the league is lucky that Game 1 didn't go multiple OTs. They would have really been screwed that way.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

NBC is set to fuck Pittsburgh fans, should the series go beyond four games:

NBC, which has already thrown a damper on the Stanley Cup final by insisting on back-to-back games to open the show, is spoiling another party this week.

The American television network told the Pittsburgh Penguins it cannot show any of the games it broadcasts on the big screen set up in front of Mellon Arena. That means the last party for the estimated 3,000 to 5,000 fans who have been showing up throughout the playoffs for every Pens game, home and away, will come to an end with Game 4 of the Cup final on Thursday night.

That is the last game that will also be shown on Versus, the American cable network, and the CBC feed is apparently not available at Mellon Arena.

Makes one wonder just why the NHL, which willingly allowed itself to be bullied over the scheduling of the first two games, thinks NBC is such a great partner. Sure, it’s the only major over-the-air U.S. network willing to carry NHL games, but given the spread of cable throughout North America if the NHL would swallow its pride and mend fences with ESPN it would get just as much exposure.

According to someone familiar with the situation, the NBC suits figure the several thousand fans who show up at Mellon Arena to watch the games will lower its ratings for the games because they will not be counted in the audience survey. Maybe NBC could dispatch a flunky to the hill in front of Mellon on game nights to count heads and alert the ratings people.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/globe-on-hockey/nbc-drops-the-puck-on-the-heads-of-pens-fans/article1163350/

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm not going to defend NBC's stance on the Pittsburgh crowd, which seems pointlessly chickenshit to me (though hardly unusual - the NFL does it too).

But to suggest that back-to-back games threw a damper on the finals is just silly whining on the Globe and Mail's part. Besides, wasn't one of the chief complaints about the back to back games that it was screwing the Red Wings? They seem to have survived.

5. maberger

maberger Member

wrong ... that would be the penguins screwing the pittsburgh fans. the team can simply pay the licensing fee like everyone else who shows a broadcast in similar fashion

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's a moot point. As stated on the other thread: Red Wings in 5. Pens only get two home games, anyway.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

People sit OUTSIDE the arena and watch the game on TV?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hey, why not? THAT is the definition of a dedicated fan. :)

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hell, they can't get a ticket for inside, so they show the game on a big screen.

Happened here when the Lighting won the Cup. Massive projection onto the windowless side of the parking lot opposite the arena.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

And they say it's like 3-4,000 people. Couldn't pay me enough to go down there, but god love 'em they got their chairs all set up starting at 6:30 AM.

11. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

This is a huge event and it's become a tradition in recent years.

Some photos from the Post-Gazette of tonight's outside crowd:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. ned racine

ned racine Member

sorry if i cant go to the game..give me ny home and a big screen over that or a sports bar anyday

Draft saved Draft deleted