1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Allegedly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

If these are the best eight officials the NHL has, then that is a pretty pathetic situation. To miss the too-many-men call is egregious. And then to make that call on Ericksson in the third when Gill was doing the same thing all game is just hard to fathom. And I'm a Penguins fan.

That said, this series is 2-1, and that is what it should be at this point. The Pens haven't played well enough to be ahead in the series, but Detroit hasn't been good enough to be up 3-0. Everything evens out, even the officiating.

Although it was a shame to hear Babcock keep making comments about penalties during his entire press conference last night (I won't say "whine" but it was close). Yeah, you got screwed a little bit in the third period, but you could, you know, maybe suck it up and talk about something else. One thing I like about Dan Bylsma is, unlike Therrien last year, he isn't bringing the refs into play at all. Therrien was a whiner. Bylsma is not. Jury's still out on Babcock. Great coach, though, and I assume it was gamesmanship. We'll see if his words lead to more PPs in Game 4.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Actually I didn't think Babcock whined at all -- he pointed out that the difference in the game was a power play in the third period which was extremely questionable given the way the first 8 1/2 periods had been officiated.

He was not wrong and he didn't dwell on the point and he laughed and declined comment when he was asked about the six men on the ice situation.

Boy there is a lot of emotion invested on both sides of this thing by fans.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have been on the losing side of a too-many-men situation, and when you do not have set positions like in baseball or football, it is not as easy to catch as you think.

I know in hoops it is not easy to catch, especially if your defense is playing zone. It usually takes a trip or two down the floor or a stoppage in play. I am not sure about hockey.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

93 - with all due respect, I don't think I have ever seen it that egregious before -- it should have been very easy to spot, particularly since the Red Wings players and coaches were shouting it out AND the sixth player skated right past one of the officials to get off the ice.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

especially since the linesman are allowed to call this.

6. 93Devil

I never played hockey, so I do not know how hard it is to catch.

I do know in basketball, especially if players are allowed to just slap the scorers table in mid sprint, it can easily happen. And honestly, I have seen coaches think six players for 60 seconds is worth risking the tech over.

7. ned racine

ned racine Member

yes read earlier post about bitching and whining from both sides...its a bitch fest

8. ned racine

ned racine Member

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

10. 93Devil

JC, seriously, why so much hate? You follow me around the board and attack my comments left and right. I have no idea who you are, and I know you have no idea who I am.

What we type here are opinions about games. They in no way shape us as people. If I am wrong. So be it. My wife and kid are still there at the end of the day for me to kiss.

Please, just lighten up a little.

11. 93Devil

If the scorers table is allowing players to rush in and out. You see it a lot at the high school level with a small minority of coaches.

Say there is a dead ball and one coach makes a sub. The other coach will grab a player off of the bench to match that sub, and if the officials (and the time keeper) allow it (which they should not) then it hinders the home book who is trying to keep track. Many times they will just sprint onto the court.

So what you end up with is 4-5 players running onto the court and hopefully that many running off.

Coaches doing late or tardy subs also gain an advantage of slowing the game down and adding confusion. It helps teams that are not as deep. They will sub on every dead ball. So on every travel, instead of having a five-second stop you have a 30-second stop. It drives me crazy.

If your team if playing a man defense, the subbing team might also catch a break that your players do not see the new players coming into the game.

It's dirty pool, but it can work.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wait, so effectively they are rolling subs on and off the court?

Draft saved Draft deleted