1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Allegedly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So if Malkin does not punch back, he does not get the instigator penalty, right?

If you fight, anything that happens to you, good call or bad call, should be accepted. I am not defending the call, but frustrated with the actions of Malkin.

If I am clueless about the rules, you have no idea how to act during the course of a game. If fighting opens up the possibility of you missing the next game and you are the second-best player for your team, you do not fight.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I was right you don't know the rules.

You still haven't answered why there would be an astericks? The rule you don't even know about is not an absolute. Each sitaution is reviewed, like I have explained before it is far from the first time they have rescided the suspension.

You're right, I have no clue how to act during the course of a game , please teach me. With your vast experience playing and coaching the game compared to mine, I would love to learn.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Once again - you are 100 percent absolutely wrong about how it went down.

I just watched it on the NHL Network replay again and you are wrong.

It unfolded like this -- Osgood made a save -- Maxime Talbot took his stick and poked Osgood in the middle of the chest with it after the whistle, knocking him over and the puck dribbled into the net.

Zetterberg then pushed Talbot and the two got into a clutching either situation -- THAT'S WHEN MALKIN CAME IN FROM BEHIND ZETTERBERG AND STARTED WHACKING HIM -- that is why the call was 100 percent correct. He was the third man in and he was the guy who threw the first punch.

There is no ands ifs or buts about it.

There was no "shot from Zetterberg" first or whatever other fictional scenario you've tried to create.

It is very clear what happened and Malkin started the entire thing. Had Malkin not jumped in from behind, Talbot and Zetterberg would have been seperated and the thing would have been over.

Now carry on.

4. zagoshe

He might not know the rules, but at least he is not making up events to suit his argument.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

OK Zag, I just re-watched it. When Malkin comes from behind the net Zetterberg grabs malkin at the same time as Malkin grabs him. I was wrong to say it was a shot but they do engage at the same time. Malkin does take it to the next level, I admit. I still don't think the instigator should have been called but that wasn't really my issue. I can live with the call on the ice because the NHL got it right. I got off topic when I was arguing with Devil.

My issue was with the nonsense of putting an astericks if they win and Devil not even knowing why he might be suspended.

6. zagoshe

93 Devil making a ridiculous argument?

Nah, never.... ::) [\Karl Malone isn't even among the best 25 players in NBA history crossthread]

7. ned racine

ned racine Member

the whining from fans and i guess that includes this site from both sides is sickening...

1) Talbot started the whole thing with a spear of Osgood..what he did was worse than Malkin.....but i dont hear Detroiters whining about that....
    2) The suspension should have been rescinded.The rule stipulates that things like track record are taken into consideration..Malkin has no previous track record for these type of plays....and to hear Wing fans say if it was the other way around he would have been suspended..bullshit..if it was Lidstrom or Zetterberg they also would have had the suspension rescinded..
    3)the Hossa play..since when did putting a stick on a player without tugging him become a hook..and since when does hitting anothers guy stick in a non-violent manner make it a slash
    4) many wing fans are calling game 3 the Bettman game..lots of penalties...i think Bettman is a bafoon..but i dont think he talks to the supervisors and says we need more Penguin power plays..I sometimes doubt he knows what a powe play is.
    5) Wing fans saying that if Crosby was hurt and not Datsuyk the series would never have started Saturday...look this had nothing to do with Crosby..it was all CONAN..and since the league sucks the PEACOCK off all the time they listened..
    6) let them play stinks....BULLSHIT...there is nothing worse than watching an NHL game slowed down due to tickey tack penalties...and btw for all you Pens fans who are whining too...Why is it ok to crack Holmstrom in the back with a stick constantly??? those guys who stand in front of the net get the shit kicked out of them every night and dont get the benefit of calls..but just touch a guy who is skating without the puck and thats interferance...

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is turning into a fanboi looser thread.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Once again, using a sliding scale to fit the arguement.

If the Pens win, many people will argue it was a Pittsburgh bias by the NHL that won this cup. The same arguement is used for Super Bowl XL. I'm not saying that it is correct, but you tire of hearing it.

10. mb

mb Active Member

Good grief. Story of the first two games:

-- Pittsburgh played well.
    -- Detroit played better.
    -- Refs were shit, but equally shitty for both sides.
    -- We'll have a series if Pittsburgh can defend the home ice, a sweep if they lose tonight and a repeat of last year if they win tonight and lose Game 4.

And, yeah, I still believe.

/pens fanboy

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Good luck with that last part. ;)

Game on.

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Dear CBC,
    KNOCK IT OFF!
    A.

Draft saved Draft deleted