1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coyote/Harris

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 31, 2009.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

No one in their right mind would marry Harris with Coyote as the frontend.
    What is this, 1990?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The last paper I worked at (nine years ago) used Coyote. They also used pica poles, proportion wheels and paste-up boards. And using Quark to paginate was tantamount to a firing offense. I shit you not.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Ah, the Luddite Daily Parchment

4. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Coyote, back in the day, was Da Bomb (of course, that expression didn't exist back in the day, but whatever).

It had one function I still miss, IIRC. You could have multiple save strings of text - you could save different files on keys a, b, c, 1, 2, 3, etc. That was infinitely better than the current limitation of Control C, where each thing you save wipes out the previous one (and if such a function does exist in modern computers, somebody please enlighten this dinosaur).

Awesome Trash-100 art, BTW. Talk about nostalgia. Makes me want to break out the pica pole just to measure something in agates.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

The Catholic Church endorses Coyote exorcisms.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Buy some anger medication or rid your office of any clubs, bats, bricks and implements of destruction.

Somewhere, there is a computer still counting as it attempts to check the spelling. It will continue through the period of nuclear holocaust and when cockroaches roam the post-modern scorched earth.

The save strings were nice, though.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Always wanted to quote Full of Shit. :)

In most Mac programs, you can click on a block of text or art, hold down the shift key and click something else, hit Apple-C and it'll copy the whole lot. Or Apple-V and it'll paste it, etc.

As far as cutting and pasting multiple separate samples of copy, I've never had the occasion to work around that. Or maybe I have done so by just drawing a spare text box or two and using that to hold the intermediate copy. Hell, I dunno.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Is that what they're calling these days?

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I believe Coyote is the system that was being used by the computer in The Hatch on Lost.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Holy shit, Coyote is the devil.

Run away. Run away. Run away.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Believe it or not, I worked on a Harris machine as early as something like 1976 when the paper I worked on in college converted to a "state of the art" cold type system. I actually went from that BACK to typewriters when I got a full-time job.

And the first place I worked that had Coyote, we thought it was the greatest thing ever. Obviously, much has changed.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The Coyote messaging system is dangerous.
    We had two guys messaging back and forth using the reply button -- quick, short messages. Then the Managing Editor (a rather large woman) sent some ridiculous message to the whole staff. One of the guys hit the reply button to send another message to the other guy: "Blow me you fat bitch." Guess where that message actually was sent.

Draft saved Draft deleted