1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gmail spam filters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, May 31, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Over the last few days, it seems like some obvious spam messages are getting through to my in box. Gmail's spam filters have always been excellent. Anyone else notice this?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, mine's still been excellent. I get a bunch of e-mails from businesses, but I haven't moved those to spam. It's still blocking all the gobbledygook.

3. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

I have had the same problem in the last day or two, anyone else know what is going on?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Same as Smasher and Matt. Which amuses me, b/c all Google did was brag about how it wouldn't let any spam get thru. Well, I get more spam in Gmail now than I do in Yahoo. I use Gmail for work-related purpoess (snort), but I have no regrets about keeping the Yahoo account I've had for more than 10 years.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They'll probably have it fixed soon. It's a constant challenge. Spammers figure out a new way to beat the algorithms, programmers fix the algorithms, repeat.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Really? Because I get about 100 times more spam just in my Yahoo inbox than I get in my Gmail spam folder. Of course, I only use the Yahoo address when I sign up for things that might earn me some spam, so maybe that's why.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, I get almost no spam to my regular Yahoo account. The occassional deadbeat trickles its way in, but it's not bad at all.

Now, a couple other Yahoo accounts that I used as my email for work (i.e. email me at tellmeIsuck@yahoo.com), yeah, those were hammered by spam.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Happened to me, too.
    I guess I'll just be patient.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Same here. I get a ton more spam in my Yahoo one (but, like you said, I use that one whenever I sign up for something).

In my gmail one, I get about a stray spam once or twice a month.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I still only get a few a day, but definitely an uptick in the past few days.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I use multiple accounts in Yahoo and Gmail and haven't noticed issues.

I have been seeing much higher volumes of Yahoo spam lately (20 per day per account), but 99 percent of it still gets routed directly to the spam folder.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I've been starting to get the stray spam in the past few days.

Draft saved Draft deleted