1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

insurance question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, May 28, 2009.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

This is only the beginning. I think it's entirely possible that within five years, the majority of people will be paying for health insurance out of their pocket, or the majority of the premium. Companies got rid of pensions in short order, so the next big expense to shed is health insurance.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think you're right, silvercharm. Those "extras" -- like pensions and health benefits -- were only added to what laborers could get from an employer when the market was competitive and workers were needed. The price of labor got bid up with those benefits.

Now, there are a line of people ready to apply for any job that opens and a cowering work force coping with pay cuts, furloughs, unmatched 401ks and frozen pensions just to stay employed. The share of health insurance premiums shifted onto the worker's out-of-pocket costs has been growing for a while, so it probably is just a matter of time ...

But we'll have national health care by then and the care -- and access to it -- will be crackerjack, right?

3. Taylee

Taylee Member

That deserves a WOW! I'm a pretty easy-going person and that one might have sent me over the edge. To equate cutting my hours with trying to curb my vices ... jeez.

Draft saved Draft deleted