1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sidney Crosby to cover hockey for Post-Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, May 22, 2009.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

First Ace, now Crosby. Just who in the hell is good enough to work for the Plain Dealer?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Read that blurb again (or for the first time, in your case) and see if you need to continue this rant.

You are really making an ass out of yourself. It's hilarious.

Hint: Here's the link: http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/struggling_pittsburgh_post

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Dear Pot,

Granderson and many other athletes still blog online and have journals that take up newsprint.

Sincerely,

Kettle.

4. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

Before the poster who thinks this is real about Sid and the Post-Gazette, let me put him out of his misery: Sidney Crosby is not covering the Pens for the P-G! Come on man, it's the fricking Onion. Like everyone else, we're feeling the crush, but the Penguins are big news for us and we are finding ways to cover them with the very able staff we have on hand here. Next thing you know, we'll be asking Big Ben Roethlisberger to cover the Steelers. Just kidding.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oh the hilarity. Micco responds!
    Anyway, I think Mustang had a valid point, just posted on the wrong thread.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Of course Crosby isn't writing the stories. The Onion got it all wrong. The beat guys just asked him to call in the scores from the games in Carolina because the travel budget has been slashed. :D

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The hilarity of this thread aside, don't be surprised if the past repeats itself. Until the Chicago Daily News folded in 1978, the standard practice for road coverage of the Bulls and Blackhawks was for the writer to watch the game at home, then call (or take a call) from the head coach after the game (sometimes the morning after), and write a "special to the Daily News" story off that and quotes cadged from the wires. Really. The DN traveled for the Bulls and Hawks in the regular season only occasionally, but always in the playoffs.

8. Notepad

Notepad Member

If Crosby worked at the Post-Gazette he would probably be an upgrade over just about any of the beat writers the other paper in Pittsburgh, the Tribune-Review, has working for them.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

So when does Sid start? Will he be blogging? Tweeting? I hope he files from the power play. What a great dateline....

THE TOP OF THE LEFT FACEOFF CIRCLE -- Sidney Crosby rifled a blistering slap shot past a befuddled goalie midway through the second period tonight to give the Pittsburgh Penguins a 2-1 lead.

"Yeah!" he exclaimed, as I skated back to the bench, where I received joyous congratulations from my teammates.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My name is Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Wabbit season! Duck season!

Shoot me now! Shoot me now! I DEMAND that you shoot me now!!

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

He's actually a helluva rider ... I mean, writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted