1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Nixon bio

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, May 22, 2009.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

This might go in Books, but not everyone looks there.

My kid has latched onto two things: Presidential bios (he's tearing through Caro's LBJ, being less entranced but still liking McCullough's Truman), and the movie Nixon.

I read a bunch of Nixon bios back in the day, but it's been so long I can't remember any that stand out.

I'm looking for suggestions on one that focuses more on the pre-Presidential years and more on the early days and campaigns. Lively writing a plus.

Thanks for any tips.

2. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Stephen Ambrose had a bio trilogy on Nixon that's solid. The first two deal with the pre-presidential years.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Have you checked out some of Stephen Ambrose's stuff on Nixon? The Republican party in California during the 50s and 60s were some interesting times. And there was a recent book published about the Nixon - Gahagan Douglass Senate race. Didn't realize she was married to Melvyn Douglass.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I have to admit I'm not Ambrose's biggest fan. And my kid mentioned, without my bringing it up, the plagiarism charges against him, so I'm guessing he won't be eager to read him.

Geez -- I get help, and I'm dissing it. Don't mean to, and I appreciate it. Thanks.

5. Not strictly a bio per se, but Garry Wills's "Nixon Agonistes" is one of the finest political books I've ever read.
    Try Mark Feeney's "Nixon At The Movies" for an interesting, offbeat take.

Draft saved Draft deleted